Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
winch operators, The end came undone at thimble. I tied it off on clevis pin to get through awhile back, Decided to swage the new thimble, no good slipped through swage collar. I used the 3 clamps that came W/thimble from Home Depot, those too did not hold. Went back to tying off on clevis. It works just looks like a half a$$ fix & I hate seeing that type of repair/modification. I work on turbine powered helicopters and a Gulfstream for too long :-( & have experience swaging cables, just surprised the synthetic rope slipped through. Any suggestions? Thank you.
Regards
Kevin

·
Registered
806 Posts
With synthetic rope you need to make an eye loop in the rope itself. You'll never get any clamp to hold.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Yep, you can't swag synthetic line. You'll have to splice it. If you're not up to splicing yourself, most boating/marine shops can do it for a small fee, may be able to call around and see if any near you can do it.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
With synthetic rope you need to make an eye loop in the rope itself. You'll never get any clamp to hold. How to replace the thimble in your Amsteel Blue Winch Rope - YouTube
Yeah I had originally tried this, BUT I was trying to do what I saw from a 3 strand tie down rope. This video is still using a larger rope than my 3/16", BUT I see the difference than what I was trying. This splice is WAY better than the Pro Mark Factory one that it cam with.
Thanks for replying, I appreciate it :beerchug:

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yep, you can't swag synthetic line. You'll have to splice it. If you're not up to splicing yourself, most boating/marine shops can do it for a small fee, may be able to call around and see if any near you can do it.
Thanks, I'll do it once it gets a little warmed & my knee is healed.:beerchug:

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Yeah splicing is very easy. Just have to take your time. I did a whole tutorial on this 3 years ago on this forum.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
here is a great video on splicing an spooling ...little long but informative

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Smoothbassman,
Finally did the splice as in your tutorial, a little bit of a PITA,BUT worked at it & put heat shrink on piece of rope on thimble, larger one right above the thimble where the splice begins & piece where the end came out, Looks good time will tell. Might have some snow to plow again Tuesday into Wednesday. Thanks for the info.:veryhappy:

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Smoothbassman,
Finally did the splice as in your tutorial, a little bit of a PITA,BUT worked at it & put heat shrink on piece of rope on thimble, larger one right above the thimble where the splice begins & piece where the end came out, Looks good time will tell. Might have some snow to plow again Tuesday into Wednesday. Thanks for the info.:veryhappy:

NP. Once you figure out the process it's a 10 minute job to fix a broken line.

I know. Broke a line in two different spots at two different times on the trail while doing a pull. Replaced the entire line once we got back with Amsteel Blue, from Viking Off-Road . Line hasn't broken once in three years.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Mine broke plowing this year first few times I just tired a standard knot, it was no good slipped out. So for now I've tied a fishing knot I use not sure on the name pretty standard, make a loop leaving a long tag wrap the tag around the main line 3 times then run the tag back thru both loops formed (the one you wrapped first) and tighten. When spring comes I'm going to do some maintenance on my line first off I think it's to long I've damaged a bit if it either from to much or that stupid chafe sleeve. Those things are more trouble then good

·
Registered
206 Posts
Smoothbassman,
When watching I was thinking the same thing about heat shrink too

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Shep
I did double hitch & then slipped it through attached to the pin of the clevis. That held no problem just didn't like it. The hardest part I had was getting the taped end all the way through once I managed that it was easy & looks dam near professional, even better than when it came new. I also believe stronger.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts