Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over the winter I picked up 2 850's. 1 is a 09 850 XP EPS with a bad motor. I just got finished last weekend rebuilding it and getting it installed. It runs great. After an hour or so playing around I just happened to WOT it from a stand still and low and behold the damn thing shocked the hell out of my by pulling the front tires off the ground about 3 feet before I let off the throttle. Anyways that one will be mine.

The second 1 is a 13 850 XP HO. I am still playing with it as it had rough idle and I'm getting really close to it being fixed. I think just a few more adjustments. Anyways this one will be the wife's. I noticed the that I have 2 medium sounding clicks or clunks from the clutch area. I am considering a clutch kit on mine for sure and have been in talks with Ryan about this.

I'm debating on taking my good clutch out of mine and putting it in hers. I am also considering putting a clutch kit in hers. I have read that the clutch kit makes it a more smooth take off in forward and reverse (great benefit). I also understand it makes it easier to do a wheelie. That is my concern for her. All last year she rode her 09 800 HO, not a problem.

If we rode mainly trails I would be ok with that but we camp mainly in North Colorado high up in the Rockies and do a lot of steep hill / trails / rock obstacles. Does anyone have this set up on their wife's quad? Does anyone with a clutch kit feel it my be too much for a wife? Sometimes she has my 7 year old daughter with her. Just trying to be safe. Guess the safer thing would have been to leave her on her 800. That one doesn't seem to have the nuts the new 850's do.

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks, Ultra

·
Registered
729 Posts
You may want to leave any shims out of hers .

·
Registered
901 Posts
You will find if you leave the shims out like joyrider says with the smoother engagement, throttle control will be easier. If she can handle the 800 she can handle the 850 depending on how heavy her thumb is :)

·
Registered
312 Posts
You may want to leave any shims out of hers .
^X2^

A kit from Ryan will be custom and leaving the shims out you will have a smoother engagement than the stock set up.
I tried shims in mine but the higher engagement made it a little jumpy for my liking.
With no shims its smooth as butter.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts