Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do you mount both it and the lower OE red bumper?
It appears to me once the upper half goes on the lower half cannot.

I like the upper half because it protects the headlights from branches. However, now the entire lower half of the Scrambler is vulnerable.

·
Registered
26 Posts
add a bracket from lower bolts on upper guard…i used a 1x3 inch 1/4 plate mounted it to the lower bolts then put factory original bolts in lower guard with nuts from kit pushed it up to the plates and marked holes…..drill and done

·
Registered
47 Posts
All I did was tighten the bolts at the bottom enough to take most of the movement outta the bottom bumper then ziptied the bottom to the top, worked for me, even forgot to put a tie on for one ride, ti didnt slip down at all, but i wouldnt recommend not holding it up somehow. Im looking at doing something like unperfected said tho, just to get rid of the tie standing out out front.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I did zip ties first and had them break and bent te shit out of the lower guard so I did the plate. Will try to get pictures soon for u guys

·
Registered
2 Posts
I too had the same dilemma when wanting to mount the upper brush guard and still keep the lower bumper in place. I saw a few pictures but it looked like they had mounted the upper guard directly and then moved the lower bumper out and downwards to make it fit. The problem I see with that is it reduces the front clearance when trying to come out of rutted hole and this front clearance is very important.

So that being said…
I removed the front fenders and loosened off the grill plastic enough to access to the retaining nuts that sit in pockets on either side of the rad housing. I replaced the original metric nuts with ⅜” nuts because I switched to longer ⅜” bolts as longer metric bolts are tough to find. Note that there is only about ½” of clearance past the nuts so double check your bolt lengths and the top are different lengths from the bottom. I used some 1” stainless steel rod for the top spacers, packed the centre with washers around the ⅜” bolts to take up the inner slack, and then used a few washers that had a larger diameter than the rod spacers to spread the “impact” load at each end. The lower ⅜” bolts go through both the upper and lower guards and don’t require rod spacers.

When all bolted up, the upper guard is very secure and the spacers allow for a spot to wrap a recovery strap which is secured to the lower tow loop. I’m currently in the process of modifying a rear sportsman bumper to fit the back – if you’re going to crash trees with the front then you’ll probably being doing the same with the rear… Good luck, PM me if you need pictures.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts