Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I am looking at the new 550 XP and just love the new look. It is awesome. I am looking at buying one in about 3 months and I have a question. Does anyone have the electronic power steering (EPS) option. Is it something that makes you say "how did I ride without it". I do a lot of trails but not a lot of rock climbing. I like the sand dunes as well. I am just not sure if it is something I really need. Does it help at high speed, or is it only helpful at low speeds.

Thanks

Don
Las Vegas.

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
I hear once you get it you won't go back!

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
the new XPs steer so easy anyway, i personally would not get the EPS model, and here is why. . . . .

i have ridden both the EPS XP and the non-EPS XP on the trails, the EPS is nice if you get into clay, or some really soft dirt, because the EPS works, without the quad actually moving, unlike yamaha's power steering system. the new XPs already have larger rims, and the steering knuckles have been moved closer to the center of the wheel compared to the sportsman models, so that reduces steering leverage, and thus effort. the EPS becomes dangerous at higher speeds, so as you increase speed, the XP automatically startes to take EPS away. i think it is something like over 11 or 12 mph, the EPS system is off. its a great design, im not knocking it, i just think that the new XPs steer so easy as it is, once your tires are moving that the average healthy male of female rider probably doesnt need it.

i was told by a polaris rep that when the XP was still in R&D at polaris, the marketing side wanted them to build a power steering machine, because they were losing sales to the yamaha grizzly simply because of power steering, but non of the engineers wanted to put power steering on it, because it wasnt necessary.

i would personally put the $700 into new tires or accessories, then spend it on the EPS, unless you plan to do a lot of one handed slow riding

hope that helps

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info. I went riding this weekend and was climbing rocks and in sand washes. I was on my Sportsman 300 and thought I would love to have EPS right now. However this part was only about 5% of the total riding. Still have not decided yet. I wonder how the EPS would do in th sand dunes?

Don
Las Vegas

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
im not sure in the dunes, in the rocks, EPS would be nice, because steering is effortless at slow speeds. probably one of those things you have to get used to. after polaris let us ride the 850 XP EPS and the 700 Grizzly PowerSteering back to back, they gave us the non-EPS models to ride the rest of the day, and one guy in our group after we finished riding asked the polaris rep that was there which of the XPs we just rode had the EPS, and the answer was none of them. just my personal .02, you could probably get a dealer to let you test ride the EPS and non-EPS models back to back to get a feel for it yourself

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I got the 850 with the EPS. I got such a great deal on it I could not turn it down. I will take her out tomorrow and see for myself how it goes.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Well I got the 850 with the EPS. I got such a great deal on it I could not turn it down. I will take her out tomorrow and see for myself how it goes.

Awesome! Congrats on the new XP 850! So...how did it perform compared to your SP300?

Also...if you do not mind me asking, but what kind of deal did you get? I ask...because I am about to pull the trigger on the same machine minus the EPS option. Any insight is very much appreciated!

Thanks,

biz
:cool:

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey bis4two,

Sorry it took so long to get back to you. It is such a sweet ride. I love the way it feels. It is so easy to drive and I feel so safe. I took it out this week and climb some hill and than tried out the descent control system. I am usually most scared going down hill. This bike was nice and easy to drive down hill. I bought it here in Vegas. I was looking at 550 in Utah that the wanted 7,800 plus tax. Utah tax is 6.75 and Vegas is 7.75. I called a dealer here and they did not have the 550 in stock but would make me a deal on the 850. They sold me the bike for 8,350 plus tax. No freight, set up charge or any extra charges. When I met them to sign the paperwork they also gave me the 600 in rebates off the bike. The paper work showed the 8,350 sale price and the tax. Than they showed the down payment and the 600 rebate leaving the amount financed. I used the Polaris Finance Program at 5.9% for 5 years. They also have 12 month 0%. I did not want to take that chance but I plan of having it paid off in a year. My payments ended u at $104/month. I spend that on Coffee at Starbucks in a month. Now I gave up the coffee to justify th bike. I hoe that this helps.

Don

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Sounds like a sweet deal!

·
Registered
964 Posts
VegasRider -- Thanks for the reply! You did a good job buying the XP...no doubt about it.

Well...this past Thursday...I pulled the trigger and bought me a XP 850 in Sunset Red. I was able to get as good a price...and part of the deal was 20% off accessories at time of signing. Unfortunately...they did not have the machine at the store...and it is going to take a few days for them to pick it up. So...the big day is next Saturday! I cannot wait...

This past Friday...was the day I purchased my 5'x12' PJ trailer with 4' ramp to haul the XP. I took delivery today...and it tows nice and easy.

Really excited to go riding!

biz
:cool:

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Congrats

I know you will enjoy yours as much as I love mine.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Just to fill you in on my experience with the 550 XP, I'm still breaking in but I find that having the EPS is great, especially when on long rough trips and also disagree with it going off after 10 to 12 MPH, It still worked for me, Most times when its needed is in rough terrian(hills, rock crawling etc.) you wouldn't be traveling fast. I use to ride Arctic Cats and it was tough, Like one other member said "once you get it you'll never go back"

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I agree I will never go back. THe wife and I rode out at Parker last weekend and she had her 300 and I had the new 850 XP. I was feeling noce and let her drive (the other woman) and she loved it. She now wants a 550 xp. She never wanted a big quad but felt so comfortable on the XP that she fell in love with it. I will see what I can do. I took a ride yesterday up to Mt Charleston and had a great time. I rode some narrow trails that went way back into now where. It was very nice and peaceful. No matter how tight the trail or how rough the XP did great. I feel like the I wear the XP and it is part of me

·
Registered
4 Posts
Poloaris 550 xp with eps

I bought my 2009 550 xp eps on July 2 and it went in to the store for repairs on Sep. 15 with 960 miles on it. I ride the oregon coast mountain range trails. No sand, hill climbing or rocks. All 16 a-arm bushings are being replaced along with front ball joints, parts are back ordered for the power steering and the front differential had a bad leak. I am very disappointed with the quality after having 4 Honda Rubicons. I won't try Polaris again even though the ride and handling were superb.
Dick

·
Registered
35 Posts
I had the front A-arm bushings go gout at 106 miles... I notice that you mentioned a power steering problem. What kind of problem are you having. I have an 09 550 with 45o0 miles on it. Not long ago on a trail in W Va. the power steering became hard to turn. It also would become hard to turn while sitting still.. Of couirse the dealer could not duplicate the problem..gave it back to me. I even had the technician try 2 brand new ones on the showroom floor and he did notice a difference while sitting still. He stated that he didn't think that mine was unreasonably hard..so no fix. I even called Polaris customer service...I was told that I had to resolve it with the dealer.

·
Registered
4 Posts
power steering

I had the front A-arm bushings go gout at 106 miles... I notice that you mentioned a power steering problem. What kind of problem are you having. I have an 09 550 with 45o0 miles on it. Not long ago on a trail in W Va. the power steering became hard to turn. It also would become hard to turn while sitting still.. Of couirse the dealer could not duplicate the problem..gave it back to me. I even had the technician try 2 brand new ones on the showroom floor and he did notice a difference while sitting still. He stated that he didn't think that mine was unreasonably hard..so no fix. I even called Polaris customer service...I was told that I had to resolve it with the dealer.
My power steering ADC reservoir would lose half its volume on a 30 mile ride. It didn't affect the steering but if it had gone dry it no doubt would have.
Dick

·
Registered
7 Posts
My neighbor has a 09 xp 550 sportsman. It's Bern to the shop 3 (three) times! Once for a recalled part, once for an electrical problem, and the third time for a staRter issue. My '07 grizzly has only been to the shop for it's usual service.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts