Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

New to the forums here. Seems like a great place.
I have a 1991 Polaris 250 Trail Boss 4x4. I recently aquired it about 4 weeks ago. I love it. It's pretty fast too. Faster than I thought it would be.
My question is I know the motor & transmission are seperate. I want to change the oil in the crank case of the engine but I can find the filler plug but cannot find the drain plug. It's driving me crazy! If anybody could help me out it would be much appreciated!

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
you cant find a a drain plug for the crank case because there isnt one. its a two stroke, you dont change the oil on a two stroke, it burns it with the fuel. im not sure what filler plug you are talking about because it has an oil pump that mixes the 2 stroke oil with the fuel before the cylinder. you do have a drain plug for the gearcase (tranny) and that is #37 on the image below. (very bottom and center)

·
Registered
96 Posts
AGL that a oil ? there is no polaris dealer within 50 miles of me. can you find out if a owners manual is avalable for my 89 250 i would think it might be the same as his 91

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
99.9% sure it is Pure Polaris AGL (Automatic Gearcase Lube). it is in a blue bottle purple label, and is purple in color. there is no substitute for this oil unforrunately because Polaris has not ever released what actually makes up AGL to even its dealers, nor will they probably ever. i can not recommond ANYTHING else when it comes to this fluid. you run a very high risk of expensivly damaging your tranny if you run anything else in it.

and yes, you guys would both use the same service manual for your machines, i provided links to the two most common brands of manual, both are good and almost identical. take your pick between the two

Haynes Repair Manual $33.95
Clymer Repair Manual $32.95

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
And welcome to the board!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Trail Boss question 98 model

split the transmission on a 1998 Polaris trail boss 250 was wondering do you have to pull the bearings off to get to the silent chain

1 - 8 of 8 Posts