Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Polaris Sportsman 500 H.0
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok in New to this . Purchased from a buddy for cheap. I've been lurking for 2 weeks now and I'm hearing that the 04 was a split year. Maybe that's why I'm finding online parts diagrams incorrect and confusing. Did the split occur on a specific date? When i registered on the polaris site with my VIN it said my year is 04 .5.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,978 Posts
Thanks Latebird, where do you find all this ? Now im looking at my info and its saying my model is A04CH50AO. was on the sticker on the frame.
AO or AQ - the last letter indicates a color or option - I caould find an AO

I have been working on motorcycles and ATV's since the mid 60's - I simply have an extensive collection of literature and years of information crammed into my little brain.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Its AO. It's the Mossy Oak edition. Ugly ass purple Came. LoL

·
Registered
9,978 Posts
I didn't find it on the Polaris site, but it's an AO - A04CH50AO) (N.B.U. SUB. CAMO - I believe that indicates Nature or Natural Break Up Subdued Camouflaged

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Even on the polaris site the info i get is inconsistent. When looking at the diagrams to find replacement parts they have been wrong. I have a 2 way fuel peacock but the diagram has a 3 way. The carb diagram shows the main jet being 152.5 but mine is 155. Makes it tough to trust in the diagrams.

·
Registered
9,978 Posts
Does you petcock/fuel tank look like the one in this pic? (knob is on the left side of machine - front of the machine is left side of pic)

·
Registered
9,978 Posts
Even on the polaris site the info i get is inconsistent. When looking at the diagrams to find replacement parts they have been wrong. I have a 2 way fuel peacock but the diagram has a 3 way. The carb diagram shows the main jet being 152.5 but mine is 155. Makes it tough to trust in the diagrams.

I run into the same problem on a 2010 500 I am working on - it's shown as having an inline on/off petcock, but has a petcock similar to the one in the pic.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Mine is only on/off. Only 2 lines to it.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I would say that its similar , however the inlet and outlets are a bit different. i found the actual part number i needed was 7052159 not 7052161. On a side note do you know of any diagrams showing the routing of the fuel lines? The friend i got this from had disconnected all the fuel lines trying to figure out what was wrong. He broke the connector on the fuel petcock , left out the fuel filter, ruined the bushing on the bottom of the fuel tank and god knows what else. at this point im not even sure its correct. i found pieces of fuel line and the fuel fiter lying in a storage box in the front rack.

·
Registered
9,978 Posts
In the pic I sent the petcock is 7052159

There no fuel line routing pics in the Polaris service manuals like there is in Honda and Yamaha manuals, but here's what I came up with:

The upper line is the fuel supply from the petcock - the lower line is the feed to the carb - the line at an angle and connected to the 'pancake' cover is the vacuum line.

The fuel enters the carb on the RH side on the nipple closest to the mouth of the carb - the clear line is a float bowl vent and there is another one on the other side - they tee together and are routed along the frame tube and zip tied in place or actually inserted into a hole in the frame tube - the vacuum line goes on the nipple on the LH side of the carb near the carb holder (intake manifold).

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
man , that will help a great deal. On the fuel petcock which is in/out? Really appreciate all the help !

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Happen to know where this goes? Was laying on top of starter.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Looks like some kind of check valve to me.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts