Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everybody,

I think I will have to replace the speedo sensor on my machine as I have the classic symptoms: no odo/speedo indication but the hour meter and AWD works.
:question: (Somebody mentioned it somewhere that the Hall sensor can also stop sending if the brake pad is too thin as this will move the sensor too far from the rotor. Any thoughts of this?) :question:

Anyway, I noticed that the sensor's cable is in a corrugated sheath together with another cable (brake cable?). Are you supposed to route the new sensor's cable through the same sheath (how do you get it in the sheath?) - or just cable-tie it along? :hmmm:

Also, is there any specific item to pay attention to when replacing the sensor?
(i.e., how do you remove the old one/install the new one on the caliper? I assume I will have to remove the right front wheel to get to the sensor. Is its screw a generic size or you need to order one as well? How about a cap for the sensor? I think my present sensor does not have a cap.)
Any and all information and/or pointers would be appreciated - I am still just learning this machine and probably will have other questions along the way as well.

Thanks in advance!

Las

·
Registered
900 Posts
I changed my sensor a few years ago. You just disconnect it from inside the headlight pod ,unbolt the current sensor, replace with a new one. You don't have to use another "sheath" that I'm aware of. Just look at yours and you will see what it looks like. Just use the same route that the old one had. Use lots of ty-wraps to secure it well.

The sensor is bolted just outside the rotor on a housing. Unless the rotor moves (which it doesn't) the size of brake pad had no effect on it's function, neither does mud or dirt. It senses "metal" , it doesn't "look" for the rotor.
Re-use the cap and the bolt.It's easy to do once you look at it. The sensor is not adjustable either, it bolts in one location.

Good luck....

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I changed my sensor a few years ago. You just disconnect it from inside the headlight pod ,unbolt the current sensor, replace with a new one. You don't have to use another "sheath" that I'm aware of. Just look at yours and you will see what it looks like. Just use the same route that the old one had. Use lots of ty-wraps to secure it well.

The sensor is bolted just outside the rotor on a housing. Unless the rotor moves (which it doesn't) the size of brake pad had no effect on it's function, neither does mud or dirt. It senses "metal" , it doesn't "look" for the rotor.
Re-use the cap and the bolt.It's easy to do once you look at it. The sensor is not adjustable either, it bolts in one location.

Good luck....
Thank you, Kevin! Sounds easy enough. (Btw, the sheath I was referring to is there now - the cable for the sensor runs inside it, together with, I think, the brake hose. That's what I was asking about: how to run the new cable inside this sheath? I will probably just zip-tie the new cable outside and alongside this sheath, after all).
Thx again,.

Las

·
Registered
900 Posts
Hey Iprising

Yeah I knew what you meant....I just didn't see that on my bike when I changed it. Maybe it was already replaced before I bought it? Running through a sheath would be the best thing , but ty-wraps work well too.
Changing this is a fairly easy job , you will see.

·
11,285 Posts
The "sheath" of which you speak is just zip tied together and only wraps around the cables and brake line. Cut the existing ties and the cable protector is split all the way down. Pull the old wire out and install the new one and zip tie it back together....easy peasy.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The "sheath" of which you speak is just zip tied together and only wraps around the cables and brake line. Cut the existing ties and the cable protector is split all the way down. Pull the old wire out and install the new one and zip tie it back together....easy peasy.
Thank you polman500 - sounds clear!
Las

1 - 6 of 6 Posts