Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been running Shell Rotella T6 for a while with what seems to be good results. I know the old Polaris oil use to be 0w-40. I also know a lot of guys run the Mobil 1 version with great results. My question is that it has been single digit highs here lately. Is the 5w-40 going to hurt the engine in that cold start up or will it be thin enough? Always thought about trying the Mobil so maybe now I have an excuse

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
I been using the T-6 for years in my quads and works fine in the cold here...it was -12 the other day an started both machines with no problems..the difference between 0w an 5w is very minimal..The Mobil 1 is a good oil also...

Shell Rotella® T6 5W-40 provides excellent low-temperature flow, even at -30ºF. MAINTENANCE SAVINGS An extremely shear-stable product helps maintain consistent viscosity and oil pressure in the engine.

taken from shells site

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
To answer your question.... No, the 5W40 won't hurt your engine, it will be just fine!!

Oil Viscosity vs. Ambient Air Temp Range should be close to this for most oils....

So, 0W40 would be rated for: ~ -40°C to 40°C / -40°F to 104°F

And 5W40 would be rated for: ~ -30°C to 50°C / -22°F to 122°F

To sum it up, if you don't want to run the oil in the spendy magic blue bottle.... simply find a viscosity that best suits your average ambient temperature range and run your favorite "full synthetic" flavor (brand) of oil!!

Found this Sportsman 570 Oil Change Video the other day and found the first couple minutes interesting. At about 1:00 in they start to talk about the temp range ratings of the PS-4 & PS-4 PLUS oils..... Video Link:

·
Registered
181 Posts
I have a 2013 Sports 400 HO. I talked with my local dealer that I purchased it from. I was told to use any full synthetic in the required weight and I would have no issues. I use Oriellys 5-30 full synthetic. Engine now has about 30 hours on it and it runs just like new.I did mega research on full synthetics. All major oil brands get their oil additives the same outlet as Oriellys. This is not recycled oil but Full Synthetic.I pay less for a gallon than others pay for two quarts.Ken

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
0w is the better choice for cold weather but 5w is the next best choice so you will be ok. I always opt for the best choice but if you like Rotella the 5w is your only choice. I have to say the 0w is performing flawlessly in my sub zero temps and using a higher viscosity oil goes against my logical mind but your splitting hairs. A few years a go 0w wasn't even a option and the 5w worked. I get 0w for $5 a quart at Walmart so it's cheaper than Rotella.

·
Registered
575 Posts
I've run t6 in mine all winter, it has oil pressure as soon as the engine starts just like with the polaris stuff

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
The current Polaris "magical mystery" oil is 5w-50. So no worries on the 5w bigtime :fing02:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts