Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a new 13 Sportsman 500 HO that I'm adding hours onto for the break-in. Ran into 2 things that ended up being me (a decently well-read and understanding person of motors) being ignorant of obvious things lol. Anyways I brought my HO out to play a bit and noticed I smelled fuel when I got to my fun spot. I know I havent been able to find my fuel shut off for it. Could thatbe the little bit that was dripping out of a clear tube hanging out of the bottom? Theres two of them but only 1 dripping fuel (very slowly).

I would post pics but i'm on my phone atm.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
The one dripping fuel is a vent/overflow from the carb. Not connected to the fuel shut off. The other clear tube is a vent for the crank case if I remember right. You fuel shut is up under the left front wheel well. Get a flash light and you will see it, red knob.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok ya. Thank you by the way, both for the welcoming and the tubes clearing up thing. I have the actual owners manual fro mm the dealer. It said it was I. There but the diagram showed it next to that circular metal piece. I see it now though, nested deep in there. Thank you very much, both of you.

·
Registered
6,824 Posts
Ok ya. Thank you by the way, both for the welcoming and the tubes clearing up thing. I have the actual owners manual fro mm the dealer. It said it was I. There but the diagram showed it next to that circular metal piece. I see it now though, nested deep in there. Thank you very much, both of you.
Download the service manual, it tells you how to fix everything on your bike.

Glad you got it.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
It shouldn't be dripping though...if it is a new quad, have the dealer fix the needle valve.

Sean

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Glad you got it.
Oh, it goes much more in-depth than telling me all the things I shouldnt be doing on my quad lol. When I get back home I'll download it check it out. Thanks for the heads up, I'll definitely use that in the future lol.

I'll call the dealer about that needle valve too. It was only dripping after a good ride and before I rode it, it was in the back of my truck while I was going over some rough terrain and uneven ground. Maybe that had something to do with it? I read the manual but some of it wasn't too clear and I tend to be a bit forgetful (left my rear cargo box open on the way back tonight, nothing fell out). Should I have the red engine off switch always switched to either off position if its not being used?

·
Registered
6,824 Posts

Glad you got it.
Oh, it goes much more in-depth than telling me all the things I shouldnt be doing on my quad lol. When I get back home I'll download it check it out. Thanks for the heads up, I'll definitely use that in the future lol.

I'll call the dealer about that needle valve too. It was only dripping after a good ride and before I rode it, it was in the back of my truck while I was going over some rough terrain and uneven ground. Maybe that had something to do with it? I read the manual but some of it wasn't too clear and I tend to be a bit forgetful (left my rear cargo box open on the way back tonight, nothing fell out). Should I have the red engine off switch always switched to either off position if its not being used?
You would not think that would affect the needle valve? Other than testing out the emergency (red) kill switch on an occasion, I have never switched it off.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Glad you got it.

You would not think that would affect the needle valve? Other than testing out the emergency (red) kill switch on an occasion, I havew never switched it off.
I don't know if it would or wouldn't effect the needle valve, was just wondering if the quad getting bounced around could make fuel from the carb drain out? It won't leak once its in the garage and settled. Just after driving it up the ramps and having it in the truck while driving off-rode. Could it be that? I started learning about engines recently (after the times of carburetors. I understand the concept, don't know the fine lines of EXACTLY how it operates. Was thinking maybe there was fuel in it that while getting bounced around it was coming out that tube?

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
I have a new 13 Sportsman 500 HO that I'm adding hours onto for the break-in. Ran into 2 things that ended up being me (a decently well-read and understanding person of motors) being ignorant of obvious things lol. Anyways I brought my HO out to play a bit and noticed I smelled fuel when I got to my fun spot. I know I havent been able to find my fuel shut off for it. Could thatbe the little bit that was dripping out of a clear tube hanging out of the bottom? Theres two of them but only 1 dripping fuel (very slowly).

I have the same atv as you, and after going up a pretty good incline, mine will also have a small amount coming out the overflow tube. I'm not sure if it's supposed to, but has never caused a problem as to the ride or power used. As you stated yours only does it on an incline just like mine does, so maybe it is normal

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

I have the same atv as you, and after going up a pretty good incline, mine will also have a small amount coming out the overflow tube. I'm not sure if it's supposed to, but has never caused a problem as to the ride or power used. As you stated yours only does it on an incline just like mine does, so maybe it is normal
Awesome, nothing to worry about then hopefully lol. I'm new to owning an atv and I tend to be a bit of worrisome fool about new things I get into until I become really well acquainted with whatever it is lol. Onward to mods then, hopefully. First thing I want to do is swap my red plastics for camo ones.

·
Registered
2,980 Posts

Awesome, nothing to worry about then hopefully lol. I'm new to owning an atv and I tend to be a bit of worrisome fool about new things I get into until I become really well acquainted with whatever it is lol. Onward to mods then, hopefully. First thing I want to do is swap my red plastics for camo ones.
Why didn't you just get Camo when you bought it. It would have gotten you different tires and EBS also

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
No fuel drips out of mine.....

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Why didn't you just get Camo when you bought it. It would have gotten you different tires and EBS also
Cost, and I got the last 13' my dealer had, just ended up being red. The tires that came on it have done an amazing job with everything I need them to do anyways. Besides if I got a 14' camo one he wouldnt have knocked a grand off the price.

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts