Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have removed the transmission and now I can not get the transmission back in I need help? PLEASE :werd:

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Welcome to the board!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Please Doesn't any one know how to install the transmission on a 1996 Polaris Xplore? I'm new on the forum and don't know how to use it yet But I st5ill would like to get some response on the question.
THANK YOU In advance

·
Registered
12 Posts
I just looked it up on YouTube yesterday for a 1998 xplorer. My wheeler will only go in to high,reverse doesn't even feel like it's there and low will just grind. So I assume it's the translation on mine. Are you having the same issues? I'm new to polaris just got mine two days ago.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I just looked it up on YouTube yesterday for a 1998 xplorer. My wheeler will only go in to high,reverse doesn't even feel like it's there and low will just grind. So I assume it's the translation on mine. Are you having the same issues? I'm new to polaris just got mine two days ago.
You may need to adjust the shift linkage for low gear. If your idle is too high it will grind also. I would imagine that the problem could possibly be the low gear engagement dog is worn. Check the play in the top of the case where the shift shafts exit. If there is play in the shafts this will also make the trans not shift. I realize that this is only my 2nd post here but I just rebuilt my 95 xplorer 400 trans and engine and these suggestions were given to me by a polaris mechanic. If you discover worn parts in your trans I have several xtra parts that may work for you.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I changed my tranny fluid and it started working,it was almost all metal shavings. The reverse low and high all work now.So I took it out tonight and it slipped out of reverse two times. But it don't all the time. It happens when it's cold. If that makes since. Have you ever put a lift kit on and or bigger tires? I'm wondering if it's a good idea or not. Thanks

·
Registered
100 Posts
A friend of mine and I lifted his Arctic Cat 500. You definitely have to do a clutch kit on it. The larger tires will overwork and heat up the clutches if you leave them stock. The stock clutch set up is designed for the stock tires and not for a larger tire which means a heavier rotational mass. Clutch kits are easy to install and not all that expensive. EPI makes a great kit for under $300 and it does both clutches. So to answer your question, larger tires are worth it but only if you upgrade other parts to handle them. If your gonna throw larger tires on it with a clutch kit, why stop there. Throw a performance pipe, air cleaner and carb jets at it and make it a beast.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Now in order to get bigger tires do I have to get bigger rims or do I just get bigger tires that fit on stock rims. Sorry if sounds like a dumb question but it's my first wheeler. I'm a dirtbike guy.lol thanks

·
Registered
100 Posts
You could go either route. It will be cheaper to get bigger tires that fit the stock rims. You could buy bigger wheels and tires and often times you can find combo deals on them. How much you want to spend is the determining factor I guess.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'm not sure on how much I want to spend. I need front tires now so that's why I'm trying to figure it out. I guess I want to keep the stock rims now and put the biggest tires on it as I can, thanks a lot for the fast answers. Also happy Easter

1 - 12 of 12 Posts