Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hoping I'm not in over my head, I want to replace the starter myself, rather than paying a dealer's rates. I keep reminding myself that I changed more than one automobile starter in my younger days, with no problems. How bad could it be, right? Famous last words!!

Problem is, the shop manual only says to make sure the splines/gears are lined up; makes no mention as to where it's located or how much of the machine you have to dismantle to access it.

Suggestions?

·
9,430 Posts
Got it marked in the pics. You should be able see how to get it out once you get the side panels, seat, air box, right footwell and recoil starter off. I've never worked on a Hawkeye specifically but they appear to be laid out similar to a Sportsman by looking at the diagrams.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hoping I'm not in over my head, I want to replace the starter myself, rather than paying a dealer's rates. I keep reminding myself that I changed more than one automobile starter in my younger days, with no problems. How bad could it be, right? Famous last words!!

Problem is, the shop manual only says to make sure the splines/gears are lined up; makes no mention as to where it's located or how much of the machine you have to dismantle to access it.

Suggestions?
Thanks a bunch; great help. Soon as the dealer tells me the starter I ordered is in, I'll see what I can do. Again, many thanks.

·
Registered
5,854 Posts
It's not necessary to remove the recoil starter unless you are installing a new Bendix also - once access to the starter motor is attained, remove the two bolts holding it to the engine, pry it out of the hole it is inserted into on the RH end - lubricate the o-ring on the new starter with petroleum jelly, o-ring lubricant, engine oil, grease or similar, insert it into the hole in the engine case rocking it to get it engaged with the Bendix gear, install the two bolts and wire from the solenoid and test operation - if all is well, put the bodywork back on and you are done.

·
9,430 Posts
It's not necessary to remove the recoil starter unless you are installing a new Bendix also - once access to the starter motor is attained, remove the two bolts holding it to the engine, pry it out of the hole it is inserted into on the RH end - lubricate the o-ring on the new starter with petroleum jelly, o-ring lubricant, engine oil, grease or similar, insert it into the hole in the engine case rocking it to get it engaged with the Bendix gear, install the two bolts and wire from the solenoid and test operation - if all is well, put the bodywork back on and you are done.
Yeah, latebird is correct on not needing to remove the recoil OP. I'm just so used to replacing them as a set on older machines that I include that step automatically.
Good catch latebird.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts