Polaris ATV Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Exacly... not the same... I assume you've been running it by removing the clamp and just pushing it in?
No issues with dust getting past?

This is what I'm thinking of doing to ease my inner OCD... LOL

Wrap 1/2" foam weather strip around the end. This should fill the gap plus have a better sealing surface to the intake...

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
I just looked mine up in RockyMountainAtv and same part is listed for both bikes. If you go to R2C site and look at pdf. it also shows 570 and 850’s, 1000’s use same filter. BTW what happens when that foam gets sucked in?

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I just looked mine up in RockyMountainAtv and same part is listed for both bikes. If you go to R2C site and look at pdf. it also shows 570 and 850’s use same filter. BTW what happens when that foam gets sucked in?
The problem is the fitment only goes until 2016...
The 850's must have had the same clamp on filter as everything else.
They had to have redesigned it to fit inside instead of OVER the intake tube.

This is why I'm concerned.
Pretty sure if you have a 16 or older 850 when you are pushing the filter in you are actually sliding it over the intake not inside. BIG difference!

As far as the foam sucking in... idk...
I would think since it's adhesive on one side (filter side) that between the adhesive and being sandwiched between the mating surfaces it would stay put...
No real way of knowing until you try...

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I just looked mine up in RockyMountainAtv and same part is listed for both bikes. If you go to R2C site and look at pdf. it also shows 570 and 850’s, 1000’s use same filter. BTW what happens when that foam gets sucked in?
Also there isn't even a 1000 listed on the fitment list...

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
1000 and 850 airbox is the same. RockyMountainAtv which is their seller confirms Fitment up to 2020. You have the correct filter!!! A 2015 and a 2020 use same air filter. I would use it as recommended. Add foam if you want, you’ll be voiding warranty. I’d be more concerned with foam than dust. That’s all I got.

·
Registered
789 Posts
Exacly... not the same... I assume you've been running it by removing the clamp and just pushing it in?
No issues with dust getting past?

This is what I'm thinking of doing to ease my inner OCD... LOL

Wrap 1/2" foam weather strip around the end. This should fill the gap plus have a better sealing surface to the intake...
View attachment 139249
No ,not the same IMO Better.Twice the amount of the seal goes in the intake I dont remember if mine came with a clamp. No never had any dust in there
Even on the 16+ Pretty sure it goes in the intake(Easy enough to see if it goes over or in is ,,,look in there)
Wrapping the lip???.I woudent do it but thats me , Even though I dont think it needs it,, A different route would be add the insulation to the lid so it pushes the filter in tighter but that could cause a deformed lid over time.

·
Registered
2019 sportsman 570 2020 sportsman 850
180 Posts
I much prefer the clamp on filter of my 570 over the slide in filter on my 850. I would also be worried about dust getting by the small lip. Idk how hot it gets in there but maybe a little grease around the lip would help seal it up?

·
Premium Member
9,725 Posts
hey Sean i just did some looking and your 1k takes the same OEM AF as the 800 does. personally i wouldnt use any gasket material. idk some times to much gasket does the opposite. you know what i was thinking how about if you shaved the lip down smooth??? also you could use some petroleum jelly or grease to give the surfaces a little more of a seal.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Lol...I've had this filter installed for over 2000 miles with no issues. I have checked the intake passed the filter multiple times and I have never found any dirt. The seal happens at the very back of the filter, when the cap is put on it creates pressure pushing it back towards the filter mounting hole. 850 and 1000 have the exact same air intake.

·
Registered
789 Posts
Lol...I've had this filter installed for over 2000 miles with no issues. I have checked the intake passed the filter multiple times and I have never found any dirt. The seal happens at the very back of the filter, when the cap is put on it creates pressure pushing it back towards the filter mounting hole. 850 and 1000 have the exact same air intake.
(y)(y)YEP

·
Premium Member
9,725 Posts
There you go Sean I was hoping Chronix would chime in!!! He is definitely up on his "mods" knowledge when it comes to the XPs!!

Reactions: chronix79

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
When I spoke to R2C last year he also said not to use grease as an extra sealant. Same here, although I’ve only had 1 year, ZERO dust is getting through!

·
Premium Member
9,725 Posts
When I spoke to R2C last year he also said not to use grease as an extra sealant. Same here, although I’ve only had 1 year, ZERO dust is getting through!

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
Mostly just blow dust out from inside out but now and then a mix of Simple Green and water, wash, and nice fresh filter!
C8910100-34C8-4FA5-BD56-D7EC456C7C07.jpeg

·
Registered
247 Posts
Came with the clamp
One the 18 850 SP the filter goes inside for a seal. One thing that I always do is grease the outside of the filter and inside of the filter housing with Vaseline Petroleum Jelly. This help sea;l and the grease will hold any dust.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts