Overheating issues

Hears what I done so far
Replaced the sensors
Replaced the thermostat ( new oem)
Flushed the system
checked the pump ( good)
Checked the cap (good)
Checked the fan(made a jumper works)

When bringin up the temp in the on the bike I used a ir heat gun to shoot the temp Straight off the thermostat housing. From what I been reading it say that the average temp is around 200ish to kick in and about 180ish to kick out.
I’m gettimg the readings at about 185 and 200 for my bike but that’s in celcuis not ferheight is this correct?

The fan now cuts in and the overheating light doesn’t come on....I’m thinking about running a deciated power line to the switch from the battery as i think the only thing I can see happening it the wires maybe getting brittle!

Opinions, ideas, advise ?

Thanks guys

·
Premium Member
1,497 Posts
Are the radiator fins clear of any debree? (Mud, grass, weeds) Is air freely flowing through the radiator?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
FDP Rad is clear and free and going thru nicely

Johniii sometimes it kicks the light on...,since I wrote this I removed the the guts outta the old thermostat to allow constant flow and the fan kicks on more frequently now bringing the temperature up.

I’m thinking I have a wiring issue/connection issue possibly
maybe the age of the wire/connectors are the issue I’ll dig deeper into and see

I’ll check that over today and update

·
Premium Member
4,025 Posts
The temp readings sound about right. The fan will kick on around 200 or 205 and off again below 180. If it is actually getting too hot with the guts out of the thermostat then you need to pull the radiator. Probably go the fins plugged or stuff inside so you aren't getting good circulation. What did the coolant look like when you started? Pretty green or dirty brown?

·
Registered
7,398 Posts
There's two separate sensors - one to turn the fan on and one to turn the hot light on - probably the light sensor is defective and turning the light on at a lower than calibrated temp.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Update on the overheating issue

I replaced both sensors rad and engine ones

It seems to be kicking in and out as per proper operating temp.....thank Jebus ! Lol

Thanks everyone for all the advice and troubleshooting tip

Great site and great ppl all around

On to the next few issues lol

Cheers

1 - 7 of 7 Posts