Polaris ATV Forum banner

radial vs bias ply tires

14K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  pondfishr 
#1 ·
whats the pro's and cons on radial vs bias ply tires

#2 ·
radials are a better all around tire, the biggest con is the cost.

#6 ·
If you ride trails that are rocky or have ruts,roots and logs then you should use a 6 ply tire at least.4 ply tires are bad about getting holes in the sidewall but will be ok for nice groomed trails.

#7 ·
the maxxis bighorns and outlaw mst are both great tough trail tires i have used both. the maxxis zilla is 6 ply but the sidewall is not as tough as some other 6 ply tires.

#8 · (Edited)
Sorry for all the questions... 6 ply does sound like the way to go. We have alot of sharp rocks and hardwood trees in our area that can have small stobs and lose alot of limbs. Is there a preferred web tire vendor with good service. Also do you recommend pre loading the tires with green slime and is there a problem with putting fix a flat in ATV tires since they run such low pressure? I have used the green slime in my skidsteer and haven't had good look with it. It could be the skidsteer tires are so big that I didn't get enough in there to help.

#11 · (Edited)
I have also bought tires and rims from www.atvoutfitters.net Matthew will help you any way he can and they have good prices.Fix a flat is ok for passenger car tires but a skidder tire would take a 55 gallon drum of it lol.Most atv tires are so far out of balance that you may not notice too much if you preload with slime.But I agree with SNW629,I wouldn't use it if I didnt need it.Some of the goodyear tires are decent but over priced IMO.Find a good tire repair kit with a small air compressor and you should be ok.

#10 ·
My tires were running low like mad about 2 weeks ago and I put a bunch of fix a flat in them and haven't had any problems since. I have Goodyear tires on my sportsman and they are amazing, not sure what kind of Goodyears they are though. I've taken them through ruts, roots, roads, mudholes, and about 2-3ft rivers. Personally I order all of my stuff off of EBAY, it's good as long as you get a seller with at least 95% Rating.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.