Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see on here most guys are running radials, besides the big mud tire guys, Im wondering why? I get it on the street, but whats the big benefit on an atv? Is it worth the extra weight?

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
Fewer punctures on the trails!! Down side.... stiffer side wall, ride and weight.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Another positive that goes with the stiffer sidewall is improved handling at speed in corners( less tire roll ). Also with radial you get more contact area because the of less ballooning effect as opposed to bias ply. And while mustbenice is correct, radial do weigh more, you can find some that are pretty close to stock weight. Which is why I chose the tires I did.

Sent from my MB886 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
815 Posts
Radial tires track much better and dont wonder on the trail. Especially noticeable on a flat gravel road.

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
Radial tires track much better and dont wonder on the trail. Especially noticeable on a flat gravel road.
:stupid: Very true and good point!!

·
Super Moderator
7,130 Posts
You get the same benefits running a radial on your atv as you do with your car or truck. Better ride, handling and performance off road. Well worth the trade off you might get from any weight difference. I won't run anything but radials on mine.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Same here. We have bias ply ITP 589s on our ranger and they suck riding on roads. They are bullet proof and won't get stuck in the nastiest of stuff but suck handling wise. Our Rhino had them too

·
Registered
123 Posts
I bought my ATV to ride in the woods....not up and down interstate. Something never did understand some who buy off road kits/ big wheel kits then ride them on the street.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Ride 10 miles on a trail with bias ply then ride that same trail with radials and you tell me what is better. There is a reason why they cost more

·
Registered
455 Posts
I would gladly go back to bias ply on my vehicle as well as my quad, there just not as easy to find. Bias ply tires don't have the reputation for separating like radials do, I have bias ply on my quad trailer, 13 years its been parked outside in the Az sun, they look pretty bad but I have never had an issue with them or a flat. My 5th wheel on the other hand has radials, always covered to try and protect them from the sun, far fewer miles than the quad trailer, never as nasty of road conditions and if they last 3-4 years I'm doing good, bias ply's are going on that too next time.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
I bought my ATV to ride in the woods....not up and down interstate. Something never did understand some who buy off road kits/ big wheel kits then ride them on the street.

some states allow road riding..its nice since you dont need to trailer to the trail head. I ride about 2 miles on a back road to get to some trails...beats loading on a trailer or in a truck bed...

·
Registered
164 Posts
You get the same benefits running a radial on your atv as you do with your car or truck. Better ride, handling and performance off road. Well worth the trade off you might get from any weight difference. I won't run anything but radials on mine.
Absolutly agree 100 % I wont ever go back to a Bias tire.

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts