Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am about to replace the coolant on my wife's RZR S 800, I am planning to buy the larger radiator, change hoses and upgrade the pump impeller but I have one question. Has anyone ever use coolant other than the regular one? Not really sure if I can use other types of coolants in it.

Any help is appreciated.

·
10,654 Posts
Not sure what you're calling "the regular one'?
Any aluminum safe 50/50 or 60/40 mixed ordinary antifreeze is all you need.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am talking about using the higher quality HOAT coolant over the classic green (Prestone or equivalent). I know I'm gonna have to do a full flush in order to put it in. I am just asking because my wife's RZR doesn't get used as much as my rides and I wanted to put a better coolant.

This is what I am talking about.

·
Registered
8,427 Posts
That Zerex is the silicate free long life formula that I have extolled about in other posts - it would be my choice if not using Honda, Maxima, Silkolene, Engine Ice or one of the other power sports specific formulas. I have one engine with Evans Waterless coolant in it as an experiment to test it. So far it is no better or worse, but it's only been in the system for a year.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That Zerex is the silicate free long life formula that I have extolled about in other posts - it would be my choice if not using Honda, Maxima, Silkolene, Engine Ice or one of the other power sports specific formulas. I have one engine with Evans Waterless coolant in it as an experiment to test it. So far it is no better or worse, but it's only been in the system for a year.
I put Evans on a Ranger 1000 for a friend, between the flush formula and the coolant was unholy expensive

·
Registered
8,427 Posts
The down side of Evans, is it can only be topped off with Evans, so you not only have the expense of the flush and installation, but you need a reserve for replacement and top off.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The down side of Evans, is it can only be topped off with Evans, so you not only have the expense of the flush and installation, but you need a reserve for replacement and top off.
Oh I warned him about it before hand and I believe he bought an extra gallon, I would rather go with HOAT over Evans, mostly because it's waaay cheaper.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts