Polaris ATV Forum banner

Radiator Guard Cover

9K views 22 replies 9 participants last post by  bp405 
#1 ·
Does anyone know if Polaris or some aftermarket company makes a vented steel guard cover to protect the front of the radiator? I'm planning on installing front and rear tube bumpers but the ones I want don't have any kind of expanded metal. That radiator sure looks like it could use some more protection to me. My 2008 PS 500 HO picture below looks like the radiator is just to exposed for possibly a stump,stob, or rock to take it out of commission.

Tony

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
atv-guru.com

#3 · (Edited)
I've looked at their website ATV-GURU.com before, they have some very nice looking bumpers, and yes with the expanded metal protector.

I was just wondering,and for some reason I thought I have seen one image before of some kind of metal protective guard that looked factory made just for the 2008 Polaris Sportsman and probably other year models similar to the 08 front end. I'll see if I can locate that image.

I may end up going the ATV-GURU.com bumpers route if I don't come across what I'm looking for. The one's I'm looking at are made by SuperATV.

Tony

#4 ·
This is what I seen and it says superatv.com but I could not find it on there site.

Tony

Attachments

Reactions: RoyR80
#6 ·
The area at the bottom of the front is part of the frame. The radiator is set back in a bit so if you hit something hard enough to bend the frame you are gonna have more to worry about than just the radiator.

Look around the forum....there aren't really any issues with the grill and radiator other than overheat issues due to getting the radiator filled up with mud.

Reactions: Corbett1973
#11 ·
Thanks HawkX66 now that's something to check into also. In fact that looks little more factory, I like that. Price don't look to bad either. :grin

Tony

#10 ·
If you are gonna be riding in the tall grass then you probably want something there. Most of my riding is on trails and when I am in the tall grass I am standing on the machine so I can see what is in front of me. My biggest concern is with the plastic oil tank on the wife's 500 and something stabbing a hole in that. It's located behind the left front tire....Never had an issue but I do have a metal one from an earlier machine to swap it out.

Reactions: T. Texas Tony
#12 ·
Yeah I agree sometimes these 58 year old eyes don't always pickup the hazards in front of me on the ATV. 90% of the time we'll be on the trails, but every so often we venture into the tall stuff to get to another trail. :smile

Tony

#17 ·
Thanks I'll keep that in mind. Actually while I was talking to the guy at Strongmade on the phone I almost ask him since they was not going to produce anymore of those particular Polaris 2004-2010 front guards if he could send me the dimensions or plans to them, but I didn't ask.

My neighbor is a machinist and in his shop he has the equipment to fabricate lot's of different kinds of parts or whatever. He's made me some small parts before for different projects.

Tony

#19 ·
This is an accessory for my Outlander I opted for. It also protects the rad from mud.

Reactions: Superhik
#20 ·
Here's what it looks like with out the guard.

Reactions: Superhik
#21 · (Edited)
In case anyone is wondering, it had 1218 holes in it, just counted them!

Reactions: RoyR80
#23 ·
Now thats what i was getting at!! you and i think a like!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.