Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I like to go through water and mud with my 2012 Sportsman 550, and yesterday I totally clogged up my radiator and overheated. My friend's Outlander did too. Anyway, I'd like to relocate my radiator to help with this issue, and to at least make it accessible to rinse it out. The problem is, my wheeler came with a front storage box rather than a rack, being the LE model, and I'd rather not get rid of it. Also, I've seen that relocating the radiator will block the high mount light. I don't use it much, but I don't want to block it.

Anyone made a custom kit for theirs, maybe I can fabricate something to mount to my Guru bumper? Or am I just going to have to bite the bullet and get rid of the front box? Sounds like a good project for this winter.

In the mean time, we're going to see about using a fertilizer sprayer to clean our radiators.

I also saw an older post where someone thought the rad was getting mud in it from the tires flinging it up, and put fender liners in. I don't think this is an issue, but what does anyone else think?

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
I personally would not suggest relocating the radiator to the bumper of the atv. You then have no protection for the radiator. If you are going to relocate it, you are going to lose your front storage box and light. Highlifter makes a nice kit for your XP. My other suggestion is to not relocate it at all. Just make sure to clean it well after every ride. I ride on'y mud/water, and almost never have an issue with overheating. Even when i go to large mud events over the weekend, I make sure to clean out my radiator once a day. I have relocated them before, but I just prefer to spend the extra time cleaning them regularly, than to lose my rack space.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I've installed the high lifter low profile rad relocation kit on my 850. Yes, you do lose functionality of the front rack, but they extend the center pod light higher so it can still be used. I really like how it looks as well as the functionality of it. The rack / rad cover comes off in one piece so the radiator could be cleaned if needed. You do have access to the battery still but not much.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. I'm still contemplating it. I'm definitely not going for the lo pro kit. It's not worth $675 to me to not have to rinse my radiator in the middle of a day of riding.

My friend just decided to go for it on his Outty, and I'm going to see how it looks, and if I really want to do it to mine. My rad is more accessible than his is, as far as rinsing it in the middle of the day. I saw some pics online how to get the rad relocate to work on top of the storage box, and I don't really care about the high mount light because we rarely ride at night. Once a year, if that.

I've never really had an issue with it overheating, except once last year, and now this time this year. This was our first really wet ride of the year, I went through one long trench, and my radiator had a quarter inch of mud on the front of it. Tried rinsing it off, got the mud off the front of it, but with no direct access to the fins, coudn't rinse through it.

I don't know if that was sufficient, because we had to quit for the day because his was still overheating. Turns out he boiled off over 40oz of his antifreeze. Today, I'll remove my bumper and grill and completely clean it out good. At least it's only 4 bolts and two rivets.

Considering buying the trailside pump from high lifter for rinsing in situations where we're not on private property where they have a hose.

·
Registered
35 Posts
im just going to try to but filter paper in front of the rad when playing in the mud and just take it off and give it a shake when done it should keep the rad clean

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ColdSmoke, that sounds like a good idea. I wonder if I used metal window screen, if it would have enough air flow?

I tried using my fertilizer sprayer on my rad before I washed it out today. It worked really well on the dried mud on the front of the radiator. It fits in there well because it's a skinny wand, and it had plenty of pressure. It should at least help the situation in a pinch.

For now, I won't be relocating. I will keep reading replies to this thread in the meantime. Maybe try the screen if I have trouble again, and post results.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Ive got the wild boar radiator relocator on my 550 and it was easy to install

·
Registered
87 Posts
I got tired of removing my rad to clean it properly. overheated once. I do go through lots of mud. I got creative and used front box by cutting it and using heat to bend up. looks great and I can still use the front box sides. I haven't finished the sides yet in this photo. More bracing went in to hold the part i bent up. the box isnt water proof but never really was, still holds the beer. You need to be able to weld a bracket to hold rad. cool part was a 10L gas can fit where rad was. not sure ill keep it there but fun in water. I'll post a pic of it done tomorrow

Attachments

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Looks like you're working on more than the radiator! :)

It does look a little cool with the polaris symbol facing upward. What are you going to put on the front to protect the fins?

Also looks like the box won't be removable either. I guess the only reason to remove it would be to access the battery.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Just got back from muddin so it is a bit messy. yes i think most rad relocates need removing to get to battery. I can disconect top hose and lift box enough to pivit it to get to it. the metal legs come down and rest on frame when box is closed so that it will survive a rollover!

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts