Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone ever repair a radiator with epoxy on a polaris sportsman 600 twin? What type of epoxy should I use ? The top nipple where the hose connects is lose. Thanks for any info. gell

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
No, I haven't but many co-workers have repaired there MX bike radiators with epoxy.... but that was in the tubes/fins, not the bung/nipple itself.

Have you checked with any radiator shops in your area for a permanent repair? The may be able to repair it easily in that area / thicker material!

I ended up just replacing my radiator when the fan pushed some debris into the fins and punctured 2 of them..... wasn't exactly what I call cheap!

Where about in MN are you located?

Good Luck!

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
i think you may be better off having it welded than using epoxy. i have tried repairing the area you are talking about with epoxy before and the vibration caused it to come loose again.

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Anyone ever repair a radiator with epoxy on a polaris sportsman 600 twin? What type of epoxy should I use ? The top nipple where the hose connects is lose. Thanks for any info. gell
You could try jb weld, the regular one not the water or quick drying (they're not as strong). jb weld creates a surface stronger than the surrounding metal, i've used it successfully for years on exhaust pipes. Luck! :cowboy:

·
10,364 Posts
Get it good and clean. Rough it up. Mix the JB Weld correctly. Apply it liberally and let it cure a couple days. It should fix it permanently. Cost will be a couple bucks.

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
I live about 20 miles south of Bemidji.
Any Radiator shops in Bemidji or Park Rapids that could fix this "permanently" (Braze, solder or weld).... and not just a temporary JB Weld/Epoxy repair?

I'm located a little further south-west in FF.

·
Registered
271 Posts
If you can find Belzona, it is the shit! Like JB weld times 1000. It is used to repair block castings in some Caterpillar engines. Usually only available to industrial maintenance personnel. I have used it on rads, steel and plastic mower gas tanks and other places I cant even remember! LOL

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
I've had good luck with jb weld but you use whatever you like.
The last hard plastic tank I repaired, I scuffed the area up with sandpaper, then applied a thin layer, waited a day then put on another layer. good to go.
Try to work some in the crack and bring it in a warm place to dry.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts