Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a 2013 Sportsman 400 HO and have a few questions about rail extenders and other options. I mainly purchased it for my property in West Virginia. We go from our cabin to our hunting property which is about 5-8 miles by quad and sometimes carry a lot of stands and climbing sticks along with our bows, rifles and packs. Does anyone have any opinions on the rail extenders for the front and back. Are they a detriment or asset to carrying equipment. I've always had quads with rails but I like the look of the Polaris without them. I'm also thinking of a windshield but would like to hear some feedback first. Thanks to anyone who can help me out.

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
First off.... Hello & Welcome :wave:

Accessories use will be all opinion based, and opinions are like @ssholes.... everyone has one!

Rack Extenders.... if carrying lots of items on the racks they are a great asset! The poly racks are smooth and slippery, just like a painted steel rack. But unlike a steel tube style rack there are not a lot of tie off points. A rack extender helps greatly and created a stop/boundary for items to lean/ride against. I have both front and rear and love them. I use the rear as a tie down. My front was more of a purchase to reinforce the front cargo lid and balance out the "look" with the rear extender.

Windshields..... I'd have to say don't bother. I have a Shorty on mine (I'm 6'0"), and it is mainly for looks only. Very little wind protection, other than the stomach and chest areas. But it is a great shield/protector for my phone and gps to mount and tuck behind for protection!!! On my wife’s (She's 5'7"), I just put on a mid height..... first ride was this past weekend. She liked it until the sun set and it glared something fierce!! And once covered in dust it was more of a pain in the rear. She did however like the protection from the wind and dust (on her & daughter) deflection).... So I've cut 4" off the top to see if it will help. (Note: I bought it used for $30, so I didn't hesitate to cut it down) Every low hanging branch put a smudge or light scuff on it also. So the only place I see a mid or tall height shield being useful is in the winter months to keep the cold and snow off of you if in that climate.

So to sum it up "my opinion"..... Rack Extenders = YES!! Windshields = NO!! (Unless it's the low for GPS/Phone protection).

Best of luck deciding!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks MustBeNice. You kind of reinforced what I was thinking but just needed to hear someone's opinion. Thanks again.

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
Rack extensions are well worth it, no interest or experience with windshields.

·
Registered
729 Posts
X2 what Matt said, the rack extenders are very useful and I think they look good.
As for the windshields I bought the High and the Shorty, I put them on and looked at them and took them off . They are now collecting dust in my garage. If you are interested $30 each. LOL.

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Welcome to the board!:med:

·
Registered
6,824 Posts
X2 what Matt said, the rack extenders are very useful and I think they look good.
As for the windshields I bought the High and the Shorty, I put them on and looked at them and took them off . They are now collecting dust in my garage. If you are interested $30 each. LOL.
X3!! After riding my friends with a windshield, i found myself always looking over it. Not going to get one.
My solution is that i will get a helmet with a visor for the winter, and keep my Bell beanie for Spring and summer.

Thanks,

Will
2012 Sportsman 400HO.

·
Registered
729 Posts
X3!! After riding my friends with a windshield, i found myself always looking over it. Not going to get one.
My solution is that i will get a helmet with a visor for the winter, and keep my Bell beanie for Spring and summer.

Thanks,

Will
2012 Sportsman 400HO.
Hey Will if you like the beany or half helmet check out the 'Scorpion Exo C110' videos on YOUTUBE.
It has a little visor on it for the sun and a integral flip down 1/2 faceshield built inside the helmet. The Shields come in clear, light+dark smoked and some other colors.
It also comes with attachable ear inserts for the cold or wind noise. I bought it at revzilla.com. I also picked up a rzr mask from rzr masks.com in camo for dust and cold riding. I can also use it while hunting.
There is also a similar helmet called the 'GMAX GM55' that is half the price, they also have videos on YOUTUBE.

·
Registered
6,824 Posts

Thanks,

Will
2012 Sportsman 400HO.
Hey Will if you like the beany or half helmet check out the 'Scorpion Exo C110' videos on YOUTUBE.
It has a little visor on it for the sun and a integral flip down 1/2 faceshield built inside the helmet. The Shields come in clear, light+dark smoked and some other colors.
It also comes with attachable ear inserts for the cold or wind noise. I bought it at revzilla.com. I also picked up a rzr mask from rzr masks.com in camo for dust and cold riding. I can also use it while hunting.
Thank you!! I love mu beanie, and have been looking for another, but am picky.

Checking that out right now.

Thanks,

Will
2012 Sportsman 400HO.

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
Just bought a 2013 Sportsman 400 HO and have a few questions about rail extenders and other options. I mainly purchased it for my property in West Virginia. We go from our cabin to our hunting property which is about 5-8 miles by quad and sometimes carry a lot of stands and climbing sticks along with our bows, rifles and packs. Does anyone have any opinions on the rail extenders for the front and back. Are they a detriment or asset to carrying equipment. I've always had quads with rails but I like the look of the Polaris without them. I'm also thinking of a windshield but would like to hear some feedback first. Thanks to anyone who can help me out.
The rack extensions are great but they are very prone to badly scratching if metal, such as stand ladders or other metal parts are being carried. I got some 5/8 inch heater hose and split it and wrapped the extensions with it then zip tied them into place, and it keeps scratches away and also make the extensions not slippery anymore which helps keep things from sliding around

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Good idea Vandal, think I'll take your advise. Joyrider I appreciate the windshield input. I'm going for the racks but not the windshield. Thanks for the welcomes.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
50 Posts
The rack extensions are great but they are very prone to badly scratching if metal, such as stand ladders or other metal parts are being carried. I got some 5/8 inch heater hose and split it and wrapped the extensions with it then zip tied them into place, and it keeps scratches away and also make the extensions not slippery anymore which helps keep things from sliding around
Interesting idea. I may try that. How long has the hose been on? Are you concerned about water sitting between the rack and the hose too long and possibly causing rust?

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
That is a great idea.... another would be foam pipe insulation (with self adhesive strips to seal shut/on), but may wear faster than rubber hose.

Note: I got the mid shield cut down about 4" and a piece of car door edging installed to maintain the look of the factory black edging. Yet to try this out, but it looks like it is now low enough to still shield the wind and some dust. Hopefully still not a sun glare obsticle!! A test ride one of these weekends will determine that.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Great idea on the foam pipe insulation MBN :beerchug:

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
I like the short windshield. To my eye the headlight pod/handle bars look lacking. With the lo windshield it looks complete. As MBN mentioned, its great for protecting the GPS or anything mounted above stud pod on the bars.

The rack extensions are nice most of the time. Sometimes a PIA. I still think they are worthwhile. Covering them with heater hose is a nice idea possible four/six short pieces could be kept in the box and o my put on when needed to avoid corrosion. Also cutting them in a spiral negates the need for the bothersome zip ties.

CW

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
Covering them with heater hose is a nice idea possible four/six short pieces could be kept in the box and o my put on when needed to avoid corrosion. Also cutting them in a spiral negates the need for the bothersome zip ties. CW
That is a masterful idea also.... Damb, I like the creative jucies that flow on this site!!!!

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
Interesting idea. I may try that. How long has the hose been on? Are you concerned about water sitting between the rack and the hose too long and possibly causing rust?
I just put them on since this is a new atv, but had a similar setup on a Kawasaki and worked perfectly. Since the hose is slit any water that might happen to get under it also has a way to get out. Simple rain would never go under it. Now if you submarine your atv you might get some water under the hose, but it would also have a way to get out

·
Registered
729 Posts
I like the short windshield. To my eye the headlight pod/handle bars look lacking. With the lo windshield it looks complete. As MBN mentioned, its great for protecting the GPS or anything mounted above stud pod on the bars.

The rack extensions are nice most of the time. Sometimes a PIA. I still think they are worthwhile. Covering them with heater hose is a nice idea possible four/six short pieces could be kept in the box and o my put on when needed to avoid corrosion. Also cutting them in a spiral negates the need for the bothersome zip ties.

CW
The Shorty didn't look bad but I would have preferred it in a light smoke or clear opposed to the solid black so that you can see through it. To me it blocks that immediate up front area of the quad.

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
That is a great idea.... another would be foam pipe insulation (with self adhesive strips to seal shut/on), but may wear faster than rubber hose.

Note: I got the mid shield cut down about 4" and a piece of car door edging installed to maintain the look of the factory black edging. Yet to try this out, but it looks like it is now low enough to still shield the wind and some dust. Hopefully still not a sun glare obsticle!! A test ride one of these weekends will determine that.
I have also used the foam pipe insulation. It works fine but durability wise it breaks and chunks and just doesn't last as well as I'm sure the heater hose will. Also it is much bulkier than the heater hose, but its easy to install, and does work

1 - 20 of 20 Posts