Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have the ramp push against the tailgate top when loading and unloading causing the top tailgate to dent in? Not sure if the tailgate came into contact with something directly on the trim piece or the ramp cause it. I was able to push it back with hammer but dont want to continue to damage if its the ramp pushing the rail piece. Ill try to get a pic.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Do you of have pics? Also, do you strap the ramp down securely enough so that there is very little to no movement?

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
Have not seen that on any of my trucks, the plastic trim piece may be protecting the edge or covering any dents.

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
And you posted this in the New Members section... I'm just to lazy today to move it. lol

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
I have a thick plastic piece that protects the tailgate. Use a ratchet strap on each ramp to keep them from moving.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I use straps to hold it the issue is not moving but pressure against the plastic cap pushed against the metal. The plastic is not going to stop the pressure from bending the metal.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Sounds like a Chevy problem, the new tail gates are basically hollow and have been collapsing when bearing pressure of a load.
This is happening on the HD's to boot !
The owners manual and dealers tell you the tailgate is not intended to be a weight bearing panel ! This may not have anything to do with your dents but I thought I'd throw it out there. The new lightweight tailgates have been collapsing on a regular basis, they have no frame structure within !
Just what new truck buyers want a truck that can't bear any weight on the tailgate. I guess they are giving in to the government pressure to keep making them lighter and more fuel efficient.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
2013 F150 I'll get a pic in the morning although it may be hard to see as I beat it out from inside the tailgate now I strap a board in front of lip.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
2013 F150 I'll get a pic in the morning although it may be hard to see as I beat it out from inside the tailgate now I strap a board in front of lip.
I have loaded mine into the bed of my 2012 F150 numerous times with no issues at all.

·
Registered
422 Posts
No problems on my 07.5 GMC Sierra...

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
sounds like either you're strapping the ramp down to tight or you're hitting the ramp to hard/fast when loading the ATV to me. but I've been known to be wrong from time to time. At least that's what my wife says.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I go slow to the ramp and winch it up, I have a setup in the back with a strap used to winch it up. I don't use wratchet straps just hand pull ones so there not to tight. I'll have to keep an eye on it now that I've banged out the dent.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

If you look close to right of the handle on the back its indented a bit. Was way worse and I mean worse had to take tailgate apart and beat it from the inside to get it that good. Was bent in for about 8-10 inches across the width of the ramp. Ramos are always strapped never loose and I winch quad into truck, so I don't run up to the ramps hard on the quad. I'm thinking someone backed into me when the tailgate was down as I noticed it many days after bike was in the back.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts