Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So today I was hotdogging around in my field and tried to climb my giant leaf pile, then I got stuck. I noticed while trying to get unstuck my left front tire would not spin in AWD :( The shaft would spin, but not the tire, and also while the axle would spin the tire would wobble back and forth. I figure my hub wasn't engaging, but hopefully I didn't break the cv joint. What do you guys think it is?

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
Hub engagement or lack thereof. If the CV joint was broken I'm pretty sure you would know it. It would be making a lot of noise. How long since the fluid was changed in the hubs? If it's got clean fluid I'd check the wire. Make sure it's not broken. Then if wire checks out see if your getting power to the hub.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think I changed the fluids on my last good ride, which was sometime in September. And the CV thing was just a worse case scenario type of thing. I'll be checking all of this tomorrow.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Took apart the hub and realized that the nut wasn't completely tightened so that may have complicated things. I found out that two of the three tabs on my armature plate were almost missing, and that the armature plate it totally bend out of shape. Ordered a new one from the dealer and will put on on when I get it.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Other side is working fine to my knowledge. But I'll tear it apart also tomorrow. I just didn't have the time to do both today.

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
Roger that. A guy can only get so much done in one day. I thought I'd ask because if one side is worn out the other is probably not far behind.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ya probably right, I'm also going to clean the hubs too. When I drained the fluids, it looked like used diesel motor oil, and stunk just as much as used gear oil does. So I imagine all this work isn't for nothing.

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
If it was black and smelly it was in need of some TLC. It will pay off in peace of mind knowing that you got it fixed. Did the job yourself, thereby saving hard earned $$$. And your machine will thank you for it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts