Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hoping for some guidance on an intermittent issue I've had with my 05 Sportsman 500HO. Carb was cleaned up last summer, plug is new, gas should be good and fresh (non-oxy 91), always stored inside.

Last fall on a warmer, not hot day (>60 degrees), while taking out boat lifts and docks, the ATV had been running just fine for 30-45 mins but then quit at one point and wouldn't start back up - it would start up for a quick second or so but then die out. Roll it up to the garage, next day go to start it up an it starts up fine just like normal. No further action taken...

Then, I use it all winter to plow my driveway, maybe a dozen times - not a single issue.

Last weekend Saturday on a colder day, probably run it 20 miles on some gravel roads around town, ran perfect. Sunday, same thing but it is a warmer day around 60, runs perfect for an hour or so then all of a sudden on a straight at ~30mph it quits like it was running out of gas - which it has plenty. Wouldn't start back up, but would from time to time start quick like it did last fall before quitting. Tow it back home, next day go to try and start it up and it starts just fine and ran good for a quick 3 mile loop.

Kind of puzzled on this one and wondering if anyone has had something like this happen before with my same symptoms...

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
6,561 Posts
It could be electrical or fuel - need to find out if it still has spark when it quits and if it will restart with with a fuel substitute (starting fluid) - if it will start with a fuel substitute, then it confirms a fuel issue - if it will not start with starting fluid, but has spark, there is a possibility the timing is getting off - verify spark timing during a no start episode - if off, check the flywheel key.

Let us know if you determine something.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hoping for some guidance on an intermittent issue I've had with my 05 Sportsman 500HO. Carb was cleaned up last summer, plug is new, gas should be good and fresh (non-oxy 91), always stored inside.

Last fall on a warmer, not hot day (>60 degrees), while taking out boat lifts and docks, the ATV had been running just fine for 30-45 mins but then quit at one point and wouldn't start back up - it would start up for a quick second or so but then die out. Roll it up to the garage, next day go to start it up an it starts up fine just like normal. No further action taken...

Then, I use it all winter to plow my driveway, maybe a dozen times - not a single issue.

Last weekend Saturday on a colder day, probably run it 20 miles on some gravel roads around town, ran perfect. Sunday, same thing but it is a warmer day around 60, runs perfect for an hour or so then all of a sudden on a straight at ~30mph it quits like it was running out of gas - which it has plenty. Wouldn't start back up, but would from time to time start quick like it did last fall before quitting. Tow it back home, next day go to try and start it up and it starts just fine and ran good for a quick 3 mile loop.

Kind of puzzled on this one and wondering if anyone has had something like this happen before with my same symptoms...

Thanks in advance!
FUEL INJECTORS INSIDE THE CARB NEEDS CLEANINIG THATS ALL

·
Registered
6,561 Posts
That's DUMB! I'm sorry, but there are no fuel injectors in carbs - jets (orifices that meter fuel) yes, but injectors - NO!
and fuel injectors cannot be cleaned - if there is a problem with an injector, it needs to be replaced.

Ignore Bombie's suggestion

·
Registered
67 Posts
Maybe the float is getting stuck in the up position next time it happens undo the fuel bowl drain and see it got a good supply of fuel come out

·
Registered
1 Posts
It could be electrical or fuel - need to find out if it still has spark when it quits and if it will restart with with a fuel substitute (starting fluid) - if it will start with a fuel substitute, then it confirms a fuel issue - if it will not start with starting fluid, but has spark, there is a possibility the timing is getting off - verify spark timing during a no start episode - if off, check the flywheel key.

Let us know if you determine something.
Acceptation Needle more than likely the little nylon plug that the acceleration needle is attached to has either gone inside the spring or the hoseshoe clip has come off and the needle is stuck closed at any rate the card needs to be repaired if the clip has come off and you locate it put it in the center slot to start and then adjust accordingly ie if it boys down to much fuel lower it the fuel is to rich if it sputters raise it to lean it out I had the same problem and just got a new carb and replaced it then rebuilt the other and put it on the shelf for next time it seems to be a reacuring problem but if you know what it is that's half the battle

1 - 7 of 7 Posts