Polaris ATV Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2004 Polaris 6x6 Ranger. I need some expert help on where to isolate my issue. The Ranger will no longer shift into any gear (H,L,N,R) while the motor is running. If I shut the motor off, it shifts gears smoothly and fine. Currently, I have to turn motor off, shift between the gears, the restart machine and take off again. Youtube has me believing I need to change the belt drive possibly......... need some suggestions before I start taking the machine apart. 2nd owner, has 900 hours on it. First owners were a greenhouse, an easy 900 hours, was never raced or ran hard, never been to the beach or saltwater (Common regional issues).

·
Registered
15,219 Posts
Need to take the belt cover off - may be a belt issue or primary clutch issue - the secondary clutch needs to turn to facilitate gear engagement, but should not try to turn at idle and in gear - if the primary clutch is not opening fully or if it has EBS and there is a problem with the one way bearing, it will drive the belt instead of spinning freely under the belt.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi working on a 2004 ranger 6x6. The engine runs great but doesn’t have any speed or power to the ground.Runs good to a 15 mph and won’t go any faster and hitting a hill in low very low power. New belt and new primary clutch both looked terrible also put new clutch buttons in secondary still didn’t help the helix was worn bad tried smoothing it up some but same problem only thing to mention is seems like when first driving it say first 2 minutes it will pull better and seems to build speed then can feel it gradually slow down to its constant low power problem. The guy has the 2 middle axles disconnected and only using the rear axle could this be part of the problem. I was wanting to ask on here before ordering a secondary clutch. Any help would be appreciated

·
Registered
15,219 Posts
Hi working on a 2004 ranger 6x6. The engine runs great but doesn’t have any speed or power to the ground.Runs good to a 15 mph and won’t go any faster and hitting a hill in low very low power. New belt and new primary clutch both looked terrible also put new clutch buttons in secondary still didn’t help the helix was worn bad tried smoothing it up some but same problem only thing to mention is seems like when first driving it say first 2 minutes it will pull better and seems to build speed then can feel it gradually slow down to its constant low power problem. The guy has the 2 middle axles disconnected and only using the rear axle could this be part of the problem. I was wanting to ask on here before ordering a secondary clutch. Any help would be appreciated
Where did you get the clutch and belt?

·
Registered
15,219 Posts
you need to inspect and service the primary clutch - I presume it is not closing fully or the secondary is not opening fully - eithe will cause the problem

·
Registered
15,219 Posts
Since the clutch is a Chinese POS, fully disassemble it and check the dimensions of all the parts and that they move without binding - lightly lube the parts that need lubricating and then test it on the engine without the belt on it. When satisfied it is working properly with no load, install the belt and rev the engine to assure the secondary is opening fully as the primary closes fully. Break the belt in using low range and with luck, you will be done.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Since the clutch is a Chinese POS, fully disassemble it and check the dimensions of all the parts and that they move without binding - lightly lube the parts that need lubricating and then test it on the engine without the belt on it. When satisfied it is working properly with no load, install the belt and rev the engine to assure the secondary is opening fully as the primary closes fully. Break the belt in using low range and with luck, you will be done.
I took the clutch of and inspected it looks good it’s fully closing and the secondary is fully opening in neutral no load but I drove around and looked and secondary is not fully opening under load just so far and stops.

·
Registered
15,219 Posts
Well you verified it is a clutch problem - either the primary cannot open against the spring pressure of the secondary or the secondary is binding and preventing the primary from closing any further.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts