Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the wheel bearings on the two middle wheels have gone out. i have searched and found info on front and rear bearing replacement on 4 wheels but is the procedure the same on the two middle wheel bearings on the 6x6 or is there something i need to know or do before replacing them.

i found this thread and i like the ideal about using the oven to heat it up better than weld shinking the bearing race like i had found on youtube. http://www.polarisatvforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=206&highlight=wheel+bearings

thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
First off, welcome to the board!:wave:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well, the oven method worked great. i removed the bearing assembly from the ranger. i pulled the retaining ring and most of the insides of the bearing came/fell out. i preheated the oven to 450 and put it in there for 15 minutes. i built a small wooden with a hole that the bearing assembly fit into. when the timer went off, i put the assembly on the box and with one tap on the backside of the race with a punch, it fell out. i heated it again for about 5 minutes and pulled one of the new bearings that i had put in the freezer the night before. i used the trimmed wooden circle that i had cut from the wooden box to tap the new bearing in evenly. i then cooled the assembly and bearing slowly by sprinkling water on it to protect the new bearing from getting to hot.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts