Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone,

I have a new 2009 Ranger Crew. We modified it to be used in the Everglades. We snorkeled it, put the radiator and fan on the roof and added a real temperature gauge.

The only apparent problem now is that when it is stressed in the mud or whatever, the gear shifter locks up and will not go from Low to Reverse, ect. without first putting on the parking brake. If you engage the parking brake, everything shifts as normal. Also, if you turn off the buggy and let it cool off for 5 or 10 minutes, everything goes back to normal. I think something is heating up, but don't know what.

Has anyone heard of this problem and know what the fix is? :wtf:

Thanks in advance! ;)

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Cool rig and welcome to the board!

·
Registered
108 Posts
I have seen one machine in the past that did the same thing yours is doing, we found that under extreme pressure and heat that the shift cable it's self was swelling. Replaced cable and fixed. but to be sure....since youre running clutching underwater. I'd be sure they are sealed up damn good. Belts dont like mud and water much. And we all know how well polaris seals are. cool ride by the way.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have seen one machine in the past that did the same thing yours is doing, we found that under extreme pressure and heat that the shift cable it's self was swelling. Replaced cable and fixed. but to be sure....since youre running clutching underwater. I'd be sure they are sealed up damn good. Belts dont like mud and water much. And we all know how well polaris seals are. cool ride by the way.
imhuntingcrazy,

I am a brand new "Newbee" to Polaris or any other type of ATV. Do their seals suck? I will be pulling off the belt cover today and inspecting the belt, clutch and bearing. I want to see if there is any water intrusion or significant belt dust there.

I have 27" deep "V" tractor type tires and the mud, rocks and tree stumps put this buggy through some hard work. I figure that might be one area of failure. While I am at it I will look around for the shift cable and see how it looks.

Thanks a whole lot for the suggestion and the compliment!

Sincerely,

Chuck Manetta

·
Registered
108 Posts
well in the past i have seen alot of clutch cover seals not hold up to the mud/water/muck that we hard riders throw at them. I've seen a few guys that lay a bead of silicon down around the gasket to insure that water wont be getting in. Might be something you want to think about. With the tires your running and the heavy load it's going to be putting on the belt, it may be a good idea to bring an extra one with you.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well in the past i have seen alot of clutch cover seals not hold up to the mud/water/muck that we hard riders throw at them. I've seen a few guys that lay a bead of silicon down around the gasket to insure that water wont be getting in. Might be something you want to think about. With the tires your running and the heavy load it's going to be putting on the belt, it may be a good idea to bring an extra one with you.
I was just thinking about putting a bead of silicone on that cover yesterday when I had it apart! I can still do that, but I have another problem. The belt won't come off like it is supposed to. I have the service manual and it says to put the transmission in gear and apply the brake. (I am assuming this is the parking brake) Then it says to pull the belt up and the sheaves are supposed to open up and allow the belt to be removed. This isn't happening! :banghead:

So, I am going to contact my dealer and see if I am still under warranty and tell him that the belt appears to be to tight and cannot be removed as described in the manual. Maybe this belt being too tight can be the whole problem? :nixweiss:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Your problem sounds like the bearing on the primary clutch has dirt or belt dust in it. This will do exactly like you are describing. If you have any questions you can email me at [email protected] or call 651-340-1129.

Good Luck Dale
Dale,

I took the cover off and inspected the belt and could not find any intrusion or dust and the bearing seemed smooth and spun freely. The belt did at first seem to be a little loose, but maybe that is how it is supposed to be in neutral?

I read the service manual on how to take the belt off. It said to put it in geal and apply the brake, then pull the belt up and out.

That did not work! :fuercht:

I sure as hell hope they didn't expect me to do that with the engine running? I wasn't abouit to get my arm ripped off with that clutch spinning! :undwech:

Iamhuntingcrazy mentioned the actual gear shift cable heating up. Maybe when I put all of that piping in for the snorkels I pushed it close to heat? But, that wouldn't explain why it will go in gear when I apply the parking brake?

Any other thoughts?

Thanks Again!
Anything is possible, if you do a lot of water riding you need to lube the throttle and shift cable all the time.

Dale and imhuntingcrazy,

(I am trying to get these two discussions on the same page. Sorry about the cuts and pastes!)

I am waiting until tomorrow to talk with the dealer. I couldn't get him on the phone Friday, so I might just drive by and see him face to face. They are good guys, but very busy because they started out in the lawn-mower business and just recently became a Polaris dealer. So I am competing for their time with every Tom, Dick and Harry that is up to their elbows with fast growing grass since now it is the rainy season here in Miami.

I hope I can get this under warranty since I can't get that clutch to open up and the belt appears pretty tight! Well, at least I know where the damn thing is! I have taken that storage compartment and the clutch/beltcover off of it three times already.

I also looked at the gear shift cable and it appears to be covered by a rubber boot and there is no way I can lubricate it. (At least on the engine side) Maybe on the drivers side there is some access for those two cables?

Thanks to everyone for their help!

I'll let you guys know how it turns out! :shakehands:

·
Registered
108 Posts
you should be able to lift the hood and have access to the cables up under the dash. Dale is right when he talks about the primary clutch bearing, your dealer should be able to shed some more light on it for you when you talk to them in person. be sure to have them show you on a machine where the bearing is and such. it'll help you in the future. And if you ever need more help feel free to ask. I do know how hard it can be to talk to a dealer if it's busy season.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts