Polaris ATV Forum banner

rate the reliability of your polaris atv?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 20 of 142 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
The shop has had my ATV more than I have.

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
The shop has had my ATV more than I have.
That is a shame..... but what is the primary use for your atv? After reading your signature (3" lift, Snorkel, Axle's, Jumbo Mud Tires, Radiator relocation.....). I'd assume it's built to "Beat On". Which little to nothing will hold up to forever!! Sounds like "self induced" problems to me.

I selected "Good" as I'm still in the "break in" period with mine... but it has had absolutely no issues what so ever and has started and performed flawlessly, even in Below 0°F weather....... I very rairly vote "Best, Perfect or It's a 10"..... as I feel everything has "Room for Improvement!!"

I also have a buddy that has a 2000 Sp 500 and a 2004 Sp 600..... he rides them hard and sometimes puts them away wet. Other than regular maintinance (Oil, Filter & CVT) he rairly has to touch them!!

Hope this thread answers the questions your looking for without creating a war.

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
11 years old now and no problems. My first Polaris I had for 12 years and it had a couple of minor things go wrong but were from me working the dog snot out it.

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
I voted good, for the same reasoning of mustbnice, Everything can be better and the fact that Polaris uses very cheap Chinese wear parts on the XP line...Ball joints and brake pads went in under 50 hrs..But I have replaced them with solid American craftsmanship and have zero worry about the reliability of my 550 now.

:beerchug:

·
Registered
269 Posts
At 350mi the motor let loose and that was before all the mods. That time it was in the shop for 3 months but it was warrantied so I only paid $50 for a new motor. It in the shop right now because EPI muddier clutch is junk and I went through 2 belts in less than 100mi and on the second belt it got so hot it melted the primary clutch. So I had the shop pull the EPI clutch and get a refund and order a QSC clutch. New primary and clutch cover with labor estimate was $683. As far as mods I expect axles and other parts to break. So when the stock stuff breaks I upgrade to HD parts.

·
Registered
269 Posts
QSC said that they change a lot of epi kits for there clutches. QSC said that EPIs kit makes way to much heat causing belts to explode and wrecking your primary or secondary clutches.

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
So it's true than that "most" of your headaches are caused buy modifications.... with the exception of a warranty covered engine failure. Correct?

·
Registered
619 Posts
Polaris poll

I have owned more toys than I can remember over the years, my current stable includes 3 Polaris quads at the moment. I've owned most every brand at some point, they all have their good points and bad. I've found that buying a bike that will do what you want it to is the key. If you want to keep up with 800's, don't buy a 500 and try to hot rod it. Most problems are self inflicted, either through lack of maintenance, stupid riding, or mods. If you put 28" Ag tires on your 550, you're going to break an axle, or destroy your clutch...... Riding in deep mud and water or sand, will ruin your bike eventually, period. Same thing with the whole pressure washer thing, don't do it. These are mostly common sense things that are missed or ignored by some, I suspect the ones that are unhappy with their Polaris.
Things do go wrong that should be covered by the factory that aren't, but I think you will find that with anything. All dealerships are not created equal, I gave up on my local shop years ago. They are slow, expen$ive, and act like they don't want your business. I have 4 dealerships within 25 miles, at least 2 of them are quality.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Some what but I'm not complaining about the modded stuff. I've only owned it 6 months and its been in the shop for 4 of those months. That epi clutch was a kick in the balls with ruining the primary costing $400 for a new one. I had other things I wanted to buy. Its a good machine when its running. It turns a lot of people's heads that's for sure.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
@robert.beltezore it is good to know about the clutch kit, I am looking into that too for this year, and will definitely be going QSC, I also heard another guy using a Rzr belt for better durability(??), have you heard of this before or tried it?

·
Registered
269 Posts
I take good care of my bike and do all the proper maintenance to it. I just ride hard and after I get the new clutch in it will be mechanically sound besides some stock stuff that will break but it will get upgraded at that point. Its just a matter of doing better research for quality parts. The clutch was my fault for not doing proper research. But it is what it is I learned the hard way so now I can help others to pick the right parts.

·
Registered
269 Posts
@robert.beltezore it is good to know about the clutch kit, I am looking into that too for this year, and will definitely be going QSC, I also heard another guy using a Rzr belt for better durability(??), have you heard of this before or tried it?
I haven't heard anything about running a Rzr belt on a stock primary and secondary clutches. I have heard about guys using ranger belts with a Airdam tuned custom primary. The guy at QSC said to use the stock belts. Ask for Adam at QSC he mud races a 850 and a 550 and he uses a stock belt. They are great to work with and the will answer all your questions.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Ok, yup that is what he said, I think I misunderstood him, thanks, i will be giving Adam a call!!

·
Registered
269 Posts
Ok, yup that is what he said, I think I misunderstood him, thanks, i will be giving Adam a call!!
It sucks being the test dummy but at least I will save you money and hopefully other guys to.

·
Registered
900 Posts
It sucks being the test dummy but at least I will save you money and hopefully other guys to.
Unless you have deep pockets and you don't mind paying the dealership, you can do most of this stuff yourself. The dealer will take all your money at their high rates per hour. Removing and rebuilding clutches isn't very difficult.
I don't think I would own any toys if I had to take them to the dealer for every problem, I couldn't afford that.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I feel for you guys (robert and skizmo), i cant believe your ball joint went at 50 hrs that is bs, and the motor grenading itself is complete crap, at least your warranty worked,
Skizmo were your ball joints covered and do i have the same ones on a 2012 500 sometimes i think i should have bought the warranty but it sounded like a rip off too!!
I had to vote 'okay' because from the factory ,hour fricken 1, mine had a bad temp sensor(no fan), do they start these things?and the seal on the airbox was folded over so water could just pour in there.Kinda crucial imho.
I like the product but some of the quality control and some of the dealers are giving that good product a bad reputation.:AR15firing:

·
Registered
80 Posts
who voted not great and why?

1 - 20 of 142 Posts