Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have a 2018 Sportsman 450 H.O. - purchased new and religiously maintained, greased and inspected. about 1,300 miles and 130 hours on it. It has had all regularly scheduled maintenances including inspection of clutches, belt, and trans/diff fluids. Greased regularly. I am familiar with the well-known "clutch chatter" on Polaris Sportsman atvs as I've had others in the past. The noise I hear is not just on rocky/rough terrain. I hear what I only know to describe as a rattle, jostling or possible looseness coming from what seems to be the rear of the atv. it occurs at a variety of speeds and even on more flat, even terrain such as more smooth gravel roads and trails. The atv was just fully serviced and inspected at a polaris dealer in October and just last week I fully detailed it, inspected it, put on an atv lift and ran it in high and low while lifted. I am puzzled by what it could be. Does not appear to have excessive wear on prop shaft, axles, wheel bearings, etc. Any thoughts? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
i have a annoying intermittent rattle coming from the rear caliper pins or something else loose at rear calipers,

·
Premium Member
1,278 Posts
The rear rack is loose.

·
Premium Member
7,692 Posts
Check the suspension bushings. The lower-outer-rear specifically!!

·
Registered
115 Posts
Do you have extra storage? Mine would make a lot of noise until I put some foam between the storage box and the base.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i have a annoying intermittent rattle coming from the rear caliper pins or something else loose at rear calipers,
hmm, thank you for the input. when I can, I will definitely take a look at this as I had not considered checking that. Thank you! I'm guessing you haven't yet found a solution to eliminate the rattle from the caliper?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Do you have extra storage? Mine would make a lot of noise until I put some foam between the storage box and the base.
The noise it has been making is happening when I do not have anything on the back rack. Or, do you mean the small integrated storage box between the rear tail lights? I took items out of that box and it's still making noise....are you meaning to put foam between that little storage box between the tail lights? If so, I'll have to inspect that area. Thank you

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
hmm, thank you for the input. when I can, I will definitely take a look at this as I had not considered checking that. Thank you! I'm guessing you haven't yet found a solution to eliminate the rattle from the caliper?
its probably the caliper pins on mine, no i have not taken them off yet, why don't you jack your quad up with stands or a motorcycle lift and listen and inspect everything, thats how i noticed my calipers were rattling .

1 - 13 of 13 Posts