Polaris ATV Forum banner

Re-locating the AWD switch?

3K views 21 replies 9 participants last post by  sportsmatt 
#1 ·
Anyone ever done it? My fear is one day I'll be doing a donut and accidentally grenade the front diff. I noticed yesterday my glove must've bumped it on at some point when I know it had been in 2 wheel before.

#2 ·
I'm sure it's possible, but I've never heard of it being done. I used to have that problem occasionally with switching on the ADC on my 850, before I disabled it.

#4 ·
LOL. No, I disabled the ADC.

#7 ·
And the ADC is?
Active Decent Control.... So if your asking what it is, you likely don't have it on your model machine!? :D

I'm not sure that I'd move/relocate the switch.... but maybe rather add in another secondary on/off toggle switch for the AWD (All Wheel Drive) system somewhere upstream in the wiring. Just use one of the 'knock out' locations on the pod and tie into the wiring in the pod?? Good Luck!

#8 ·
The ADC is on the same switch as the 2WD/AWD. If you have it, it is the far left position for the switch. ADC/AWD/2WD.

#12 ·
I don't think the '07 X2 had ADC. I know mine didn't. It did have EBS, engine braking system. The third position for the thumb switch was for switching in and out of turf mode.

#13 ·
I'm liking the idea that "must be nice" posted, since I was already considering a way to disable the switch.
My fear is that bulky gloves will accidentally activate the awd at the worst possible moment. I know this is a thing because a friend of mine wrenched at a Polaris dealer before coming to work with me.

I don't "play" much, but I do like to be safe.

#14 ·
I've never once been in the position where my thumb would have inadvertently come in contact with the AWD switch and I ride in bulky gloves often enough. what are you guys doing with your hands that is causing this?

#15 ·
When riding what I would consider extreme trails, you are all over the machine, and constantly turning while crawling over obstacles. It's easier than one might think for your hand to slide against the switch. I typically ride with my hand wedged tight up against the throttle box anyway, for smoother, better throttle control, especially in extreme conditions where throttle control is pretty important. :top:

#16 ·
I get where that would be an issue if you didn't want it to go into ADC. but in those conditions I'm typically already in AWD, thus making the worry about accidentally engaging the switch a moot point. Like you my hand it typically held against the throttle box/switch housing. but my thumb never moves away from the throttle area unless I'm specifically moving it to engage/disengage the switch.

#19 ·
My thumb doesn't come off the throttle. It would be like the second knuckle of your thumb can bump the switch if leaning forward and left.

when riding '' extreme'' trails i would guess you are in 4x4 anyway
I think we have a Bingo! Doughnuts / Whippin' Sh@tty's maybe not so much.... as the original post states.
You guys are talking two different things here. The OP wants to stay out of AWD. I was wanting to stay out of ADC. I was just giving an example how the switch can be bumped, for those who have never done it before. It can, and does, happen.

#18 ·
I think we have a Bingo! Doughnuts / Whippin' Sh@tty's maybe not so much.... as the original post states.

#21 ·
Never had a problem at all with the AWD but have slid past AWD to ADC. AWD on the fly is very important to me and moving or adding another switch would cause more problems that good IMO. To me hand control on donuts isn't as important as AWD is on an unexpected rough stretch. Looks like decision time!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.