Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting ready for Maine in July and need a rear box.. Pretty much decided on a WES seat, but which one!

The BIG WES or the STD everyone likes so much... Price is a wash its down to comfort, storage space and convience.

I like how the big Wes opens as opposed to the STD...

What do you guys who have them think?

CW

(I tried a search but our search sucks and comes up with ZERO)

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
CW: I have the BigWes. Storage space is very good. I find it inconvenient to have to open both sides at once. Once your off the wheeler you have to walk AROUND to both side before you can open it. Kinda a PITA.
My only other complaint is this. The arms come pretty far forward. On a positive note, this adds a lot of storage space and makes the seat deep and comfy. On a bad note, it means it kinda pushes on the outside of your thighs as you (don't take this wrong) spread your legs to straddle the machine. Going over bumps with your outer thighs pressed against the plastic of the box can hurt a bit. My delicate wife has come away with bruises (she takes coumadin, so she bruises really easy).
So while the box is great, it does have it's drawbacks.

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
CW: I have the BigWes. Storage space is very good. I find it inconvenient to have to open both sides at once. Once your off the wheeler you have to walk AROUND to both side before you can open it. Kinda a PITA.
My only other complaint is this. The arms come pretty far forward. On a positive note, this adds a lot of storage space and makes the seat deep and comfy. On a bad note, it means it kinda pushes on the outside of your thighs as you (don't take this wrong) spread your legs to straddle the machine. Going over bumps with your outer thighs pressed against the plastic of the box can hurt a bit. My delicate wife has come away with bruises (she takes coumadin, so she bruises really easy).
So while the box is great, it does have it's drawbacks.
GOOD REVIEW!! Momma will NOT like that!!

Anyone else?

CW

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I know allot of you guys have these boxes from THOR!!

Tell me your experiences with them!!

CW

·
Registered
32 Posts
Tusk MTS Rear ATV Trunk | ATV | Rocky Mountain ATV/MC
I have one on my bike and one on my wifes bike we love them. we ride our 2 kids around and if me and her just want to go together she climbs on with me.I can put 2 helmets and all my gear in this box.My dad also has one that is reason i bought the 2 i have we love them.

·
Registered
3,843 Posts
Big Wes VS Standard. The Standard has a thicker cushion at 5.1/2 in the crotch area and 3 towards the rear keeping the passenger in place, hand guards that are easier and more comfortable to use vs the metal holders that the Big has. You can also install heated grips on the standard at a later date. Of the 2 the Standard is the better. Last year we sold over 300 + of the Standard units and only about 10 of the big Wes. Also you can get our exclusive lock and ride version with out custom mounts.

I have had my Standard boxes since 2009 and love them. Over 5K trail miles & never a issue! Here are some better pictures of the box showing the inside also for you.

Feel free to call the shop with any questions. http://www.theatvsuperstore.com/Sportsman-Sportsman-XP-Rear-Box-w-seat-p/spws2500-4mount.htm

Thor

·
Registered
919 Posts
I have the Standard on my 700 and love it. I have a wife and 4 kids and we never lack for storage space between the seat and another trunk. The kids prefer riding on the WES rather than the touring. They say it feels safer and REALLY like the footpegs. They also like the grips better. I'm 5'7" 190 pounds and the seat is very comfortable.

I highly recommend the fender guard/footpeg setup. I've ridden on the back of mine with and without. Without them you are constantly pushing yourself back into the seat and you arms get tired after awhile, and you never really feel firmly planted in the seat. With them, we can ride all day and nobody complains.

I would also recommend the lock & ride attachments as the seat can be a real pain to get on and off without them.

I believe the difference between Comfort and the Standard, is on the Comfort the seat pad is longer front to back by a couple inches. That extra inch or two is better for the passenger but could force the driver to sit too far forward. The Deluxe of both models has the heated grips.

Cheers,
Stew

·
Registered
487 Posts
I would buy the one from Thor. I don't think it's a beatable deal. I was going to purchase one but could not because of two reasons:

1. I drive in jurisdictions where it's illegal because it can only be considered a seat for the driver to rest on while stopped

2. I drive mainly in a jurisdiction where it's about to become illegal.

3. I'm too tall and chunky, so it has to be mounted too far back to be safe without rigging an extended bracket, and making it too long to load into my company vehicle with all my gear.

I will say this, you'd be hard pressed to find a group of pictures without seeing this very box. Very popular, and very good value.

So until a miracle like dropping 100lbs or losing 5 inches of leg length happens, I can't get one. But if I were you, I'd give Thor a call.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I have the one thats meant for the hawkeye? on my 850. Its smaller than both and perfect for me and the wife, All I had to do was make two simple brackets so that I could properly use the lock and ride mounts and its awesome. I got mine Off of ebay for $170 shipped, it too is a wes box, then I purchased two lock and ride mounts from thor.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Thanks guys!!

It NEVER was a question of WHERE I would buy. ;) THOR/ ATV Super Store, ALL THE WAY!!

Just which one... I was thinking the BIG was might be bigger.. guess not so much. It looks like the STD and likely go with the package/kit Thor is offering!

Thanks for the tip AKSkew!!

I have built a foot rest last year when momma was complaining about sliding outta the seat last year!

http://www.polarisatvforums.com/forums/atv-performance-modifications/18532-converting-two-up-modifications.html

Then I got a set of adj pegs from Thor and they work perfectly on my system!!! I wanted more reenforcement for the arms and the box. So I built a frame for the box and integrated the bars for the foot pegs into that.

Any and all comments welcome!!

CW

·
Registered
919 Posts
Thanks guys!!

It NEVER was a question of WHERE I would buy. ;) THOR/ ATV Super Store, ALL THE WAY!!

Just which one... I was thinking the BIG was might be bigger.. guess not so much. It looks like the STD and likely go with the package/kit Thor is offering!

I have built a foot rest last year when momma was complaining about sliding outta the seat last year!

http://www.polarisatvforums.com/forums/atv-performance-modifications/18532-converting-two-up-modifications.html

Then I got a set of adj pegs from Thor and they work perfectly on my system!!! I wanted more reenforcement for the arms and the box. So I built a frame for the box and integrated the bars for the foot pegs into that.

CW
NICE!! I remember the thread now from when you were building them. I forgot it was you. Those are definitely beefier than the store bought ones.

Enjoy the seat!
Stew

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
I too am hoping to get the regular WES box from Thor for the wife's machine later this year. It looks like a better box than the BIGWES that I have on mine. Especially a fan of the way the arm rests angle up away from the legs so as to not cause that pushing on the outside of your legs problem. And I love the option of the gas tank inside the box.

·
Registered
3,843 Posts
Do to a amazing amount of sales this past two weeks we have sold out of our large inventory of boxes. We have more on the way from Canada to arrive mid month. We have also taken in a limited amount the Standard without a rear brake light as well as the Deluxe plus which also has heated cushion with the heated grips to test sales on. Both will be available as a lock & ride kit.

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks guys!

As always Thor you rock!!

I'll be ordering mine soon!! Riding season is coming fast!!!

CW

·
Registered
180 Posts
Looks like everyone else has really weighed in and given all the information that is important...but I'll toss my .02 into the ring.

I have that same box that Thor showed...it is a pretty darn good box. I have one on my 800and one on my 500, my buddy has 2 500's and each has that same box.

My wife loves it, like has been said the cushion is fatter in the front so it keeps the rider pushed back but also doesn't elevate the rider to a height above the driver...at least for me and my wife. My wife is 5'5ish and a little 120lb thing...she loves the seat, even when we did a long 12 hour ride through rough country last summer she was doing fine...no complaints...which is nothing short of miracle. She does sometimes complain about her legs being crushed between me and the sides of the box on some of the rougher trails...but you could fix that by adding some padding on the sides of the box I think.

The box has good places on either side for the rider to put their hands down out of the cold wind, which my wife likes. The whole back does open and flip the rear portion of the seat forward, so the rider must be fully off the seat for someone to open it...and really you gotta get off the wheeler to open it...next to impossible to open while still on the machine.

There is a ton of storage space in there, I tend to keep things like extra shirts, rain gear and tools in there, stuff that I want quicker access to stays in the front rack compartment for easier access. If your riding bumpy trails/dusty trails (like Jackman can be during July) you want to make sure to use the seat/trucks lock as the 2 bungee cords will not keep the lid shut when going over bumps. I found this out the hardway and ended up with a TON of dust on my stuff that I was keeping in the trunk. I'm lazy and haven't bothered to hook up the light that is on the seat yet...my friend has it hooked up on his 2...I like the looks of it at night...better visiblity for those road crossing and for when your out on the trails with all the other riders.

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Just as I expected guys EXACTLY the information I was looking for!!

THANK YOU!!!

CW

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
UPDATE!!

I got a PM a day or so ago from THOR, saying the boxes are available!! So I placed my order!! We have three of these babies heading to the house!

Pics once they get here and we install them!

THANK YOU THOR, as always YOU ROCK!!!!

CW

·
Registered
103 Posts
Thanks guys!!

CW
CW, that foot rest/frame design you have is very nice. Would you mind if I copied you to make one for my bike? I've had some problems with the back rack breaking where the foot rests attach, this looks like it would solve the problem.

Also I have the Wes STD and love it. My gf who HATES 2up riding can't get over how nice and comfortable it is. She's tried a few other boxes and refuses to use them. Her favorite part about it is how it 'hugs' your body. She says even when going over really rough stuff that she doesn't feel like she'll get thrown off. Also where the handles are the box angles upwards. This is great IMO because your legs have a bit more room to move and less of a chance of hitting the box and getting bruised.

Now, my only complaint with the box are the elastic straps that hold the lid down. In less than a year, and not very much trail riding time (I ride without a box when it's just me) both the elastic straps have frayed and broke.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
We have three of these babies heading to the house!
THREE:eek::tongue-tied:

I am hoping maybe next year I can afford one. Very nice CW. I'm a jealous man now. (These kids are sucking the life out of my wallet!)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts