Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just tore down one side of my 2006, 800efi Sportsman front end. I'm doing both sides, ball joints, wheel bearings, axles and the front drive shaft yokes and u-joints. I googled many videos and my repair results was the worst case. I thougt I would post photos and how to's but they are already out there and I thank those for sharing their experience. It is interesting that machines just a few years old have the same difficulty tearing down that I experienced. You would think a two owner machine with 142 hours and 940 miles and what apears to have had exceptional care would be a piece of cake but it still is 13 years old. It is a good thing that I'm a realest and although I prayed for blessed hands it wasn't going to be easy like so many of the videos show. Thanks again for the real people.

·
8,765 Posts
LOL, after you've done it 8 or 10 times it gets much easier. :grin
It actually makes them WAY harder to get apart if they are several years old but never been worked on regardless of mileage or hours. Threads are corroded and frozen up. I usually put around 2500-3500 miles a year on my 06 800 and tore it down every June to get ready for Colorado and the prime riding season here in the fall/winter/spring. All the bolts were only as tight as the thread locker I applied last time.:wink

·
Premium Member
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Ok, as my reality continues there is this slip yoke on my front driveshaft that slides on the output shaft of the transmission. The ideal thing is slips on and should spip off, NOT!! I have had it red hot from the torch and used blaster anlong with a long punch and hammer. Help!!!

·
Premium Member
3,554 Posts
Them are a bitch to get out! I remember fighting that on my 600. I think there is a roll pin in the front yoke but not the rear one. If you already have the roll pin out of the front yoke, you probably need to unbolt the front diff to get clearance for the shaft to move forward.

·
Premium Member
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Them are a bitch to get out! I remember fighting that on my 600. I think there is a roll pin in the front yoke but not the rear one. If you already have the roll pin out of the front yoke, you probably need to unbolt the front diff to get clearance for the shaft to move forward.
Yes the front is all loose and away from the diff which I unbolted, it was pretty painless. I just need to get some movement on that slip yoke. I would use some EXLAX if I could figure how to use it. It just wont move either way she is pretty solid.

·
Premium Member
3,554 Posts
Usually those joints get a little sloppy as the splines wear in the yoke and the biggest issue is the room to get it out. Sorry yours is being such a pain!

·
8,765 Posts
GREASE IT!! It has a zerk right on it. A little slick stuff does wonders on a lot of things lol. :grin
Then push it all the way back and then back the other way toward the front to bring it off. You also have to get the joint turned sideways with the gap facing the engine case for clearance coming off.

·
Premium Member
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
My solution to the problem, fortunatly I still have some old skills scarfing with a torch. Praise the Lord not even a nick on the shaft. This is not my suggestion for others.
BTW I worked on this off and on all day with PB blaster, greasing, heating beating on it with a torch.

Attachments

·
8,765 Posts
My solution to the problem, fortunatly I still have some old skills scarfing with a torch. Praise the Lord not even a nick on the shaft. This is not my suggestion for others.
BTW I worked on this off and on all day with PB blaster, greasing, heating beating on it with a torch.
Yep, rusted solid. Those splines haven't had grease on them in years. I've seen some pretty tough ones but never had to pull out the smoke wrench on one yet. At least you got it off though.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts