Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted this in the xplorer forum, got no responses. so i figured i would try it here. Please help!!!!

Hello all, new to the forum, and fairly new to ATVs. I have a 1999?(at least i think its a 99) Polaris xplorer 400, and its got some probs. If this is in the wrong forum, mods please move to the correct one. PICS ARE BELOW!

first: Speedometer doesnt work. It never did anything before, when I fired it up today, after revving the engine, it creeped up to 5 MPH and sort of stuck there. the digital part is working as far as i can tell. it looks like its been dented a little at the top of the speedo. Is this fixable, or will it need to be replaced? if replaced, are there any other speedos that are interchangable?

second: It leaks antifreeze out of the overflow tank after it warms up. the beginning was that i was plowing snow with it, something went 'pop', and a plume of white smoke came out of it, so I turned it off and let it cool down, and after that it ran fine, except that new issue. I replaced the radiator cap, no such luck. looks a little wet near the hoses that go into the radiator too.

third. it has a random toggle switch installed in the headlight housing on the left side of the bike. If you flick the switch, it makes a solenoid or actuator type of clicking noise at the back of the bike....you can tell it is not a stock item. any ideas? It looks like its wired into the neutral light on the headlight pod. goes to a red wire.

fourth: the starter button justs makes a clicking noise. there is no attempt to turn over, so I have to start it with the pull start. UPDATE: starter button no longer makes a clicking noise. so theres that.

please help me. i have checked everywhere and have no idea about any of it.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
1. Its either the head, cable, or pickup. Usually with speedometer related issues its the cable. Unscrew the cable from the transmission attach a drill onto the end of the cable. Spin it using the drill. Most drills will spin the speedometer at least 30mph. If it DOES NOT spin the speedometer, unscrew the speedometer end of cable and see if cable is broken or if it has pulled out of speedometer socket. If no problems are revealed with the cable, find a socket that will fit on the speedo and spin it with the drill to see if speedo broken. If that is all in working order check drive mechanism on trans.

2. Is the coolant boiling out of the overflow? I would make sure it is indeed leaking out of the overflow tank first, could be a small hole in a hose or in the radiator itself too.

3. That toggle switch could be a number of things. Something to remotely engage perhaps a sprayer or wireless winch for example.

4. If not remedied it could be the starter itself is toast because they put these in a retarded spot, assuming your battery is healthy. Or a solenoid is stuck.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the speedo doesn't have a cable, it only has wires going into it. theres no spot for a cable as well.

should i test the solenoid first with a screwdriver to see if it is that? or could it be the switch itself? i think i heard somewhere before the upwards pushing starter buttons are garbage.

the coolant looks like it is boiling out, will only come out when atv has gotten hot.

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
Aaaahhhhh you got the newer speedo. Newer machine than the xplorer I used to have. Does your AWD work? If not then the speedo is shot (not cheap to replace). It could be the HALL sensor. Its on the rotor. Try cleaning it and see if it is remedied. Also check all your electrical connections under the dash to make sure they are good

Boiling coolant is not good. IS YOUR FAN COMING ON? Radiator clean? If so try doing a full flush and see. Check your oil. Water or coolant in your oil then you have problems or oil in the water/coolant. My buddies xplorer boiled coolant like a mo foe and it was a bad head gasket and if I remember correctly he also slightly scored a piston. Would run decent but overheat.

The start button went bad on mine too. You can buy that whole assembly that includes the started button for dirt cheap on ebay. I'd jumper the starter with a screwdriver like you said to make sure it engages though. If it does ebay yourself a new assembly.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the help FUSE. I will check all that stuff and let you know by tomorrow. i think that the AWD works as it seems to kick in, the light turns on, and all signs lead to it working. i'm optimistic in thinking its the hall sensor! i'm pulling the switch apart tonight to see if its that, and i know for a fact that the battery is crap, so i need one of those too. as well as a headlight. :ponder: so it's a bunch of little things that are giving me a hard time. ill update tomorrow.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
so heres an update. i pulled out the hall sensor. it was covered in metal shavings and mud. i'm hoping that was the issue. will fire it up tomorrow and report on the status of that.

On the subject of the mystery switch.....i figured something out today. If the mystery switch is up, and i move the headlight switch to low or high, it makes the clicking noise i was mentioning in the back of the atv. if the mystery switch is down, and i move the headlight switch to low or high, it doesn't make any noise. ive got a feeling its got something to do with the headlights. will play with that tomorrow as well.

still haven't gotten around to playing with the cooling system. I did flush the coolant last summer now that i remember, could there be air in the system? is there a bleeder screw somewhere that i am missing?

:) thanks!

Dan.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
So I took it for a quick spin this morning. Speedo is as pitiful as ever. All headlights were working, and headlight switch was functioning normally, then all of a sudden no lights. Low or high beams. all 3 lights are blown. multimeter says when i rev it it goes all the way up to 18 going out to buy a new battery right now. probably need a new rectifier too.

On the plus side, figured more out on the mystery switch. If it is switched "on", it makes the clicking noise when I turn the ignition key. When it's "off", no noise when key is turned. The clicking noise seems to be coming from a relay at the back. I will post up a pic. this doesn't seem like a stock relay, i think it might have been for a winch? says camden on it.

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
i'm continually updating this in hopes that it will help others who may stumble into the same issues. I just purchased a new RECTIFIER/REGULATOR as it was reading at 18, when it should not exceed 14. It literally popped all 3 light bulbs, including the new silverstar i purchased YESTERDAY.

I ordered a new headlight/starter switch, when i opened it, there was a piece broken off inside. if that doesn't fix the starter problem, at least i will have a shiny new switch. new battery is on the tender charging as we speak. EDIT: Fck it. just ordered new hall sensor. still no progress on the leaking coolant, i figured i should get it running normal first.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
If the digital part of the speedo works it is your hall sensor in the front right wheel. It is the 3 wire thing that plugs into the speedo. It is responsible for 95% of speedo issues.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks for the help. it lights up and the digital parts work. i'm banking on it being the hall sensor. we will see, new one should be on its way. my main concern was that dent on the top of the speedo, but i pulled it all apart and it seems to look ok. *crosses fingers*

1 - 11 of 11 Posts