Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there some way I can lock my rear suspension? I am planning on putting a small sprayer on the rear rack and with 180 lbs. it sags a lot and I would like to keep my springs from wearing out with the sprayer on it.

With the sprayer I will not be going over 5mph (at its fastest) so I'm not concerned with handling I just want to keep my springs from wearing out prematurely.

Thanks,
Chas

·
Registered
6,824 Posts
Turn the adjusters on your springs so they are on the stiffest setting.

If you have never adjusted them, chances are they are on the softest setting.

Thanks,

Will
2012 Sportsman 400HO.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know that but I want to lock out the rear suspension so there is no sag with the sprayer.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Setting the adjusters is about the only way.

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
The frame is not built for the stress involved with no suspension. I would bet you'll break the frame is pretty short order.

What about mounting sprayer on small trailer?

·
Registered
29 Posts
wouldn't the sprayer weight be similar, although not exact placement, to riding 2 up?
when I fill my 15 gal sprayer (120lbs) I notice very little sag in the rear. I'd assume, if you're like me, that you arent leaving the sprayer full all the time. I usually fill it up and use it within the day, maybe two days max and its empty again.

·
Registered
6,824 Posts
At 10 pounds/gallon, that is 1,800 pounds. Crank them up to the max.

Thanks,

Will
2012 Sportsman 400HO.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
8lbs a gallon at 10 gallons is 80lbs.

I'm looking at the 25 gallon tank. So it should be around 200lbs. on the rear rack.

No it won't be full all the time. It should last me a couple days.

Here is a photo of it. It looks like it is squatting the back of that Polaris pretty good. I was also considering this to keep it from wanting to tip on grades.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,824 Posts
Ooops, mistrad the weight you oisted, thought it eas gallons. You should be fine with cranking the rear springs up.

Make sure it is strapped on good and secure,

Thanks,

Will
2012 Sportsman 400HO.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
Let it sag a little bit, or get the kolpin lock, but screw getting a trailer.

That is suppose to be one of polaris's big pitches...Hardest working smoothest riding!

·
Registered
4,081 Posts

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Turn the springs up or as I did on my 500 who's springs has sagged with use over the years put in some spacers between the spring and the bottom of the shock mount. I used 2" ABS plumbing connectors. They added a few inches of spring compression and did not loose any comfort in the ride.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts