Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I have a 97' Polaris Sportsman 500 4x4 and the bolt that goes into the transmission keeps backing out and the u-joint/spider gear keeps falling out. I have put back together 2 times, the first time I didn't use any thread locker and it came back out quickly, the second time I used Blue thread locker and it seemed to help but an hours worth of riding in the woods loosened the bolt enough for it to fall out again. Anyone know any tricks or what I might be doing wrong? Does it require red thread locker? Should I replace the entire shaft, maybe it's bent? I'm at my wits end and with this part being so easy to change i'd rather not pay the shop to do it...any help would be more than appreciated. here's a link to a picture of the part also just in case I have named the part wrong. thanks Anthony.

1997 Polaris Sportsman 500 Rear U Joint Drive Shaft Axle Heavy Duty Cardan Type | eBay

·
11,641 Posts
Have you lost the spacer (#10)? IIRC, the bolts from both sides have to tighten against the spacer to foul each other out and the tension between them is what keeps them from loosening. A new bolt with thread locker might be needed too.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not sure, I never new there was a spacer, I'll have to check the parts breakdown. I bought a repair manual and it does say to align the axle with the other axle on the opposite side and use Loctite 272 which i'm pretty sure is red Loctite. Thanks for the help, I appreciate it. ~Anthony

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I found it but thanks for posting the picture. I believe it's still in there, only one side fell out so I hope it's still screwed into the other bolt, that one part is like $35-40 on ebay and $50 from Polaris. ~Anthony

1 - 5 of 5 Posts