Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the purpose of this clip? It makes getting the axle out a pain in the Azz
Thanks
Phil

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Note..... this is a 2004 Sportsman 700 twi. I'm in the process of changing all the bushings out on the rear end.
Thanks
Phil.

·
Registered
6,634 Posts
It retains the CV joint cup ion the gear case so the CV joint stays in place and the CV joint works as designed

·
Premium Member
4,025 Posts
Yep, kinda necessary, keeps the axle in place. They can be a pain though if they get some rust on them. Make sure your axle is clean and the clip is free then add some anti seize before you slide it back in. Hopefully won't be such a PIA next time you have to take them out.

·
Registered
20 Posts
If you keep the clip and spline area well grease or oiled it comes out alright. But you need to kinda keep up on it. Can’t let it go a few years without maintenance if you do a lot of mudding or such. Lots of mudding just adds dirt in there and eventually leaves no room for the clip to compress allowing you to remove the axle

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Polman.......your're soooooo right. PIA!!!!!!!!! I was able to get both of them out. I made one of those muffler clamp devices to pull it.......i couldn't get it to fit where I could pull on it. So I just kept pulling with my hands and finely it came out. :giggle: I kinda felt that was what it was for. But there is no stupid ?, only stupid mistakes.
Thanks
Phil

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Workmore.... I use it too chase them ducks in the rice fields of Ark. So it sees alot of water and mud. So I try and keep it clean, but washing only goes so far. Torned boots is a lot of the problems I see.
Thanks,
Phil

·
9,866 Posts
Use a small wire brush to clean the splines well and then slather it good with anti-seize and they should just pull out with a good sharp jerk on the axle next time. Washing with a pressure washer can actually make it rust worse in there since it forces water in and washes the anti-seize or grease used at installation out.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
P-man....how did you know that is what I did?:unsure::) ( both the dif and the axle) Clean as a baby's butt. Well maybe. It is a lot better for now anyways. I was just thinking that maybe I should replace the c-clips too? I will grease the shaft up and try it a couple of times and see how it installs and comes out and make a decision then.
Thanks for your replies.
Phil

·
9,866 Posts
P-man....how did you know that is what I did?:unsure::) ( both the dif and the axle) Clean as a baby's butt. Well maybe. It is a lot better for now anyways. I was just thinking that maybe I should replace the c-clips too? I will grease the shaft up and try it a couple of times and see how it installs and comes out and make a decision then.
Thanks for your replies.
Phil
Great minds think alike lol. So long as the spring rings look ok I don't worry about them. I do keep a couple new ones on the shelf in case they're needed though. I've seen a few that were worn down thin on some older machines I've refurbished. With a lot of miles the splines on the axle and in the dif will get worn from movement and need replaced before they strip out. You usually need fresh axles before it gets that bad.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts