Polaris ATV Forum banner

rear axle cup removal

7K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  polman500 
#1 ·
I have been trying to remove the rear axle from my son's 400 sportsman. So far I have managed to only separate the inner cv joint. No problem, I can put that back together if I ever get the cv cup out of the transmission. I think I damaged the seal too. Anyway, I have been spraying with pb blaster and using a 5 pound slide hammer attached to the cup with muffler clamp and chains. Still no go after 4 days of trying. What the hell else can I try?

#2 ·
Here's what I did to get the rear axle off of my '05 700 EFI. I tried pulling on it also with a slide hammer and no go, So what I ended up doing was take a wood chisel that was flat on one side and had a very steep angle on the other. I put the flat side against the differential case right where the case meet the shaft and using a claw hammer, I started tapping on the chisel (not pounding on it since I didn't want to ruin the housing) after about 4-5 taps it popped right out, with no damage at all. worked really slick. I think the chisel that I used had a angle of about 270deg. or more.

#6 ·
I am still at it. I work at it for about 45 min or so every night. More PB blaster and some prying and some swearing and still no go. Ready to just say screw it and sell the thing as is. I think it has been 2 weeks. I feel defeated!

#7 ·
I think the rear diff goes straight through, if you can get the opposite side out you can pound it through with a punch.

#8 ·
Keep up with the PB blaster. Took two weeks of soaking on my dads '06 before we got it loose. Could also try adding some more weight to your slide hammer. I had to use 15lbs of lifting weights in addition to the 5lb hammer.

#9 ·
Well, I worked on it for 4 weeks and decided to take it to the dealer. They got it out after 4 days of working on it and ruining the axle. So now they put a new axle in (polaris oem) at a cost of $360 plus the labor of getting the old one out. My total bill for this is, you had better sit down! $887. The mechanic said that this was by far the worse one he has ever seen.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.