Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just made an observation today. It's been cold and I just haven't noticed. My wife's 1999 335 Sportsman has rear axles about an 1" 7/8 in diameter as compared to maybe 1/2" on my 2013 500HO Sportsman. If there is any logic to this please feel free to chim in. Only thing I could think of was Polaris figured it was better to twist off an axle verses busting something in the rear end due the the strong axles. IDK need help on this one. I hope it ain't for Polaris to save money skimping on the smaller axles...

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Well I know for a fact the old axles were way over built but the new ones are under built in my opinion. The difference between the axles on my XP's and my 08 500 is huge. My old 2 smokers had even beefy axles. I think it has to do with savings and weight. I did shear a shaft but what I really have noticed is that the CV joints are much more substantial on the aftermarket upgrades.

That being said probably 90% of people who are not hard on their machines will never have an issue even with the smaller axles.

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Yup noticed the same thing on

my two sportys, i got a 98 and a 10, boy are the 98's Beefy looking, meant for something serious but Yes I and most others won't push 'em that hard yet its nice to know that isn't the weakest link in that chain. So speaking of weakest link, what would it be? And I suppose its different between say a 98 sporty and a 10 sporty? Thoughts?? p.s. I don't jump, may hit a dirt hole on a caliche trail at 30 or loose log in high grass but probably not over 20 mph. :smoker:

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thinking of if further, my 2003 Chevy 4X4 front axles compared to the size of the truck are not that big. I guess they are strong enough to pull a 700 ATV. It's like comparing the old solid front axles trucks to the CV joint never models.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts