Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to repair an oil leak on the rear axle of my 2000 Magnum 325. It all came apart just like the repair manual said until I tried to slide the axle out. It wont budge. Can the bearing spacer be seized and if so, how do I free it?

·
Registered
6,568 Posts
I use a piece of hedge log and a sledge hammer - pressure washing gets water into places where it was not intended to be - without looking in the manual I believe it has to driven out from the right hand side toward the LH side

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Its left to right, and I have beat on it until I am afraid to break something. Nothing will budge.

·
Registered
6,568 Posts
OK - I looked in the manual - you took the bolts out of the gearcase and can't get the gearcase to separate from the swing arm - I suggest you remove all the bolts in the gearcase before you break something

·
Registered
6,568 Posts
Piece-o-cake! I'll cut you some slack because the manual presumes you are an experienced mechanic and they kinda skipped over some steps.

Remove the 4 bolts that secure the gearcase to the swing arm - tap the axle to the right to separate the gearcase from the swing arm (there could be some gear oil run out), slide the ring retainer collar to the left to expose the 'hog ring - remove the hog ring from the axle - at this point, you might want to anchor the gearcase back to the swing arm with a couple bolts - now remove the axle from the gearcase to the right.

·
Registered
6,568 Posts
Yep - it's the bane of old machines and pressure washers.

I don't have one here to look at, but is it possible to unbolt the LH end of the swing arm to remove the axle tube, gearcase and axle as an assembly? If so, then the parts might be taken to a machine shop where they might possibly be able to press the axle out.

I have studied the schematic of the parts and I think if the gearcase and axle can be removed intact, if worst came to worst - the axle could be cut in two (the axle is still available @ $280) and the gearcase removed from the cut stub then the remainder of the axle might be pressed out of the tube - repairs effected and a new axle installed to complete repairs.

Sorry - I'm making my best guess

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank you Late Bird. I finally got the repair done. My husband beat on the axle with a sledge about 5 minutes before it broke loose. Damaged the castle nut. Cheap to replace. By the way, I work on heavy equipment . Working on something this small, scares me.

·
Registered
6,568 Posts
My son has a bulldozer - I had to show him what force was and how heat works wonders - I refer to my acetylene torch as liquid wrench, but sometimes I get carried away and cut something instead of just getting it hot enough to break free. Oh well, if it was that stuck, it probably needed replaced anyway.

·
9,843 Posts
My son has a bulldozer - I had to show him what force was and how heat works wonders - I refer to my acetylene torch as liquid wrench, but sometimes I get carried away and cut something instead of just getting it hot enough to break free. Oh well, if it was that stuck, it probably needed replaced anyway.
I always called it a smoke wrench latebird. Works wonders in some situations.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I need to wash a couple of 1" bolts off, but there only 3" from $3000. electric load cells. That's when I worry.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts