Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I just picked up a 2004 sportsman 700 last week and took it out for a ride. At the end of the ride I noticed a clicking noise coming from the rear end when turning sharp and there's a big tear in the CV boot.

I got on this forum and searched around and found a lot of great advice. This looks like a common problem and I'll need to replace that axle. I checked the wheel bearings and there is a little movement but the spin pretty smoothly.

Here are my questions:
It only makes that clicking noise when turning very sharply at slow speeds. Should I replace it right away and avoid riding it or is it okay to go for a ride while I wait for the new part to come?

I'm looking for a new axle and there seems to be a lot of them out there. I called a local dealer and they want $315.82 for it. (Part# 1380240). I found the axle assembly much cheaper online but I don't want to get a POS and just have to replace it again in a year. I found the following parts online, any experiences with them?

2003-2007 POLARIS SPORTSMAN 700 4X4 Left Rear Complete Axle

Polaris Sportsman 800/500 - Drive Shaft [New]: eBay Motors (item 290280640788 end time May-29-10 00:05:54 PDT)

Polaris Sportsman 400 500 600 700 800 Rear Axle 03-07: eBay Motors (item 360237560366 end time Jun-22-10 09:46:30 PDT)

Any help would be appreciated, thanks for reading.

AJ

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Welcome to the board!:bigok:

·
Registered
745 Posts
If it's just one cv joint, you can just replace the joint. Lots of aftermarket ones out there. OR you could go ahead and get a new axle, take the old one off and rebuild it and have a spare. Check the common parts thread here and you might find a part number for a cheaper replacement for the joint or boot.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the advice; I ended up purchasing a whole new axle from American CV. I ordered it yesterday and the tracking number shows it being delivered today. I'll let you know how it goes in, probably after the weekend.

AJ

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It turned out to be an easier job than expected. It took some prying to get the old axle out by eventually it came. The new axle went it with my bare hands. Then I bolted everything back up and took it for a ride, no more clicking! Now that I've done it I could do it again in 1/2 hour easy.

The axle I ordered seems to be good quality, the manufacturer claims the boot is "heavy duty," but it seems to be about the same quality as stock. We'll see if it stands the test of time.

Thanks for the help,

AJ

1 - 6 of 6 Posts