Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have tried everything I can think of to get this axle out! I have tried the three jaw puller with fuel hose and hose clamps and a 5lb slide hammer. I have tried the vise grip attachment on the slide hammer. I have tried a come-a-long. Any suggestions? I have the half shaft off and the only thing left is the splined plunging hub.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Just put two screwdrivers wedged in opposite each other and work it back and forth and pry keep pressure on it for a long time maybe like i did and it will eventually slide out then later when reinstalling use neverseize or antiseize on spline. thats how I did others and mine here patience.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Welcome to the hardest part of ATV maintenance, getting the damn axles out. For me it has involved large crown bars wedged in from every angle imaginable to build as much tension on the cup as possible. Then when everything is tight tight tight, hit the cup with a heavy hammer to jar it good. Either it will pop loose, or all your pry bars will fall out and you get to start again. This after soaking with PB Blaster every 4-6 hours for 2 days.

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Welcome to the board!:med:

·
Registered
66 Posts
Oh yes soak them first good point

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the info. I am thinking 1/2 a can of pb blaster just isn't enough. I'm gonna try some of y'all's tricks. Thanks again and I will let y'all know the outcome.

·
Registered
455 Posts
you can try this

·
Registered
96 Posts
funny story when i was removing the rear axle nut on a scrambler last summer ... i snapped the pipe wrench right in half

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the advise! I finally tonight got it out! I ended up drilling a 1/2 hole all the way thought the side of the cup and put a bolt in it an attached a 10 poud slide hammer and after about 10 minutes of working it, it finally came out!!! I'm back in the game!!!!

·
Registered
41 Posts
I had the same frustration, I finally ground a slot in the outer shell large enough to get a slide hammer hook bit into the shell. Several bangs with a 10# side hammer and shell finally came out. 3 days of prior treatment with PB Blaster did not show much penetration. Went back together with anti-seize.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts