Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2012 800
Put rear pads on while doing bushings. Do I need to bleed both the hand at foot brake simultanously? I have just done the foot brake only and have nothing at the pedal really. So can I assume that when I use hand brake I am only getting front?

·
Registered
729 Posts
There is a seperate reservoir under the seat for the foot brake so I guess they would be done separately. That is in the owners manual you could check it there.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have bled just the rear. Pedal does little to nothing. My question is,do i have to also open the handbrake bleeder at the same time.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
You need to bleed both but you don't need to do both at once... Do one then the other. I had to go back and forth a couple times to get all the air out.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'll try again

·
Registered
4,243 Posts
Take lid off of small master cylinder for rear while bleeding, there are 2 bleeder screws on rear caliper, 1 for hand brake and 1 for foot brake.

·
11,667 Posts
You have to bleed them separately but WHY would you need to bleed the brakes when just changing pads??
How did you get air in the system?

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
On my 2006, I took the lid off the foot brake reservoir and pumped the foot pedal hundreds of times to get the air bubbles to come out of the foot brake master. This was after reverse bleeding the system. It sounds like my system is set up different though, so not sure if this will work. I only have one bleeder on my rear calipers. The hand lever applies pressure to the rear master to actuate it. So mine has a bleed valve on the rear master for the hand lever.

I have to agree with the other post though, there is no need to open the system for pads. So it appears there is more going on here than was mentioned.

Sean

·
11,667 Posts
Boburk, I've been looking at the microfiche of your machine and the newer Touring machines. I didn't know the X2's and Tourings were set up that way...I thought you had lost it when I read your post...LOL! Learn something new every day.

I'd bet those machines would be easier to bleed in the rear by pumping and holding BOTH the hand lever and the foot pedal at the same time. That would force the air from both sides of the system toward the rear calipers.

Anybody on here tried that before on an X2 or Touring?

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Boburk, I've been looking at the microfiche of your machine and the newer Touring machines. I didn't know the X2's and Tourings were set up that way...I thought you had lost it when I read your post...LOL! Learn something new every day.

I'd bet those machines would be easier to bleed in the rear by pumping and holding BOTH the hand lever and the foot pedal at the same time. That would force the air from both sides of the system toward the rear calipers.

Anybody on here tried that before on an X2 or Touring?
I don't think that would work. The fluid in each reservoir is kept separate. The front hand brake, when pulled, pushes fluid to the rear master, which moves the piston in the rear master, and applies the rear brakes, using the rear reservoir fluid. Fluid does not mix. The front hand brake lever/reservoir fluid is only used to move the piston in the rear master (does not go to the rear calipers).

Hope that makes sense...

Sean

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You have to bleed them separately but WHY would you need to bleed the brakes when just changing pads??
How did you get air in the system?
I don't know. I didn't bleed them after pad change but had no pedal. So I did just rear pedal side with minimal change. I'll try them again with assistance this time ( besides a brick )...

Sent from my MB886 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Take lid off of small master cylinder for rear while bleeding, there are 2 bleeder screws on rear caliper, 1 for hand brake and 1 for foot brake.
Do I need to open BOTH bleeders or just the pedal? This shouldn't be that hard!? I think I'm pretty handy and am baffled by this.
.:confused:

·
11,667 Posts
Did it have a good foot brake before? The rear master cylinders go bad pretty frequently. They'll seem to pump up but won't hold any pressure. The only solution is to replace it if that is the case.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Did it have a good foot brake before? The rear master cylinders go bad pretty frequently. They'll seem to pump up but won't hold any pressure. The only solution is to replace it if that is the case.
Yeah it was fine. I don't really use it but just wanna make sure its actually working when I use the hand brake

·
Registered
337 Posts
It still works when you use the hand brake. Different master cylinder. When I bleed the foot pedal. I usually start at the master cylinder and work my way back

·
Registered
215 Posts
Can the rear master cylinder be rebuilt with new seals? I ask because my foot pedal has no pressure either.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts