Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2013 Sportsman and when I apply the rear brake pedal, I hear a clicking noise. The brake works fine but it makes the noise. It does not make any noises when I use the front lever to operate both of the brakes Has anyone ever had a similar problem?? Thanks!!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the same noise going on. I have a 13 sportsman 500. I only notice it while im turning in loose ground. Never use the rear brake so I actualy forgot about it till I read your post. Would be nice if someone new exactlly where the noise comes from though.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Mine does the same thing, clicks at a pretty steady interval when I apply the rear brake via the foot peg. It's done it since day 1, I've always assumed it's normal?

I use my rear brakes every now and then when I want to break the rear end loose to drift around a corner on loose surfaces. It's really fun on ice...

I checked my brakes when I've done my maintenance, nothing is loose or leaking...

Edited to add:

I know the rear (auxiliary) brake runs off different fluid than the primary brakes. The fluid reservoir for the rear brake is under the from rack, next to the ADC fluid reservoir, the master cylinder for the primary (handlebar) brakes is next to the handlebar brake lever. I'm pretty confident that the clicking noise is the actuator/pump for the rear brakes. The manual says to use the rear brakes in case of primary (handlebar) brake system failure. So it seems to me that the rear brakes would have a different pump/actuator than the primary brakes, and that's what we're hearing when we use the rear brakes and why we don't hear it when we use the primary (handlebar) brake lever.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys for getting back to me! I appreciate it. I was concerned because of the noise and wasn't sure if something was broken. It does make sense that it may be on a separate pump. Glad to hear that it wasn't just my machine making this noise.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks jg! Appreciate the response!!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks white13! Appreciate your response. It would def be nice to know what causes it

1 - 6 of 6 Posts