Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I heard that the rear brakes on the 2010 850XP has changed to a single rotor. Local dealer has not had any 2010's. Can someone with a 2010 please confirm this.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I wonder if the mounting is still on left side, maybe add brake line and caliper yourself.

·
Registered
122 Posts
The rear brake is a turning brake:) Believe that! Didn't think so.

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
Why would they do that...that thing goes 70+ mph....I'm glad I've got 4 disks on my 09.
my only guess is that they did some engineering test and decided that two rear brakes on a ~900lb machine was overkill since most of the weight gets transfered to the front wheels when stopping anyway. so by reducing one brake caliper per model, polaris is able to save some $$$ on something that isnt really needed....just a guess though

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
my only guess is that they did some engineering test and decided that two rear brakes on a ~900lb machine was overkill since most of the weight gets transfered to the front wheels when stopping anyway. so by reducing one brake caliper per model, polaris is able to save some $$$ on something that isnt really needed....just a guess though
I would agree. Its all about making more money. I'm sure some testing was done to verify that it can stop effectively with a single rear brake. With less braking force on the rear end, you might get some more feel from the foot brake. on my 2009 there is zero feel on the rear brake. Its either on or off. I'm always locking up the rear end under heavy braking. I really want a split braking setup mod for this quad.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts