Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ordered a rear bumper for my 2001 Sportsman 500 and it did not have any mounting hardware with it. It is a double tube Polaris part #2873038. I can't find any mounting hardware or information anywhere.

Anyone know how these go on or where I may be able to find hardware/instructions?

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
It also needs a different rear rack support. If you have the right one it just needs nuts and bolts.

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
If you look at the microfiche it shows the plain stock rack support that they come with ... and the other one which has the mounting plate for the rear bumper. Otherwise you will have to weld a plate in the center to bolt the bumper to. I found mine on E-bay. I bought them both together from a wrecking yard. I'm not sure if they still sell them at the dealers.

Browse

Attachments

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the feedback. I may end up just fabricating something similar to the last pic and adding a bracket. But I saw a mounting kit on a bumper on ebay that looks like it has C-clamps for back racks not equipped with the 'mounting plate'.

New Polaris 2873038 Double Tube Rear Bumper Sportsman Gen IV | eBay

But I couldn't find the mounting hardware anywhere.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Clinebo - What kind of front bumper do you have? That is sharp!

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
I believe he has the Warn winch mount and bumper (both needed to mount). He does nave a sharp looking machine!

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
Clinebo - What kind of front bumper do you have? That is sharp!
Thanks. It's the Warn combo mount/bumper. It is a very beefy set-up and I love having extra lights up front now.
When I was looking at getting a rear bumper the local Polaris parts guy wasn't much help. I asked about the different rear rack support and he didn't know.
The guy at the ATV wrecking yard I bought it from, seemed to know more about it than the dealer did. You could use your existing support and just weld a plate inside it to bolt the bumper to. A little welding and drill 4 holes is all you would need.

·
Registered
2,885 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Not sure why the link won't work for you. It did for me. But the bumper in the listing has a mounting kit with clamps to work with a rear rack without the bumper mounting center plate.

I have found dozens of rear rack brackets on ebay but not one has the mounting plate for the bumper. Looks like fabricating something will be the best option. Thanks again for the feedback. I love your machine. I wanted the grey, but got a green one. I really like the looks of ours!

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
Your link worked for me today. I'm not sure why it didn't before.
It wouldn't be too big of a job to fabricate a mount on your existing support. If you aren't a welder a local shop could do it for you. (Assuming you have a local welder.)
It's hard to find any extras for our older machines. That's why I jumped at the chance to get the whole rear set-up from the wrecking yard.

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
Thanks for the feedback. I may end up just fabricating something similar to the last pic and adding a bracket. But I saw a mounting kit on a bumper on ebay that looks like it has C-clamps for back racks not equipped with the 'mounting plate'.

New Polaris 2873038 Double Tube Rear Bumper Sportsman Gen IV | eBay

But I couldn't find the mounting hardware anywhere.
I zoomed in on the picture, that does appear to be a Polaris mounting kit. The instructions are fairly clear but I can't see a number on the sheet. For something like a bumper I'd rather have a more solid mount than those C-clamps.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I zoomed in on the picture, that does appear to be a Polaris mounting kit. The instructions are fairly clear but I can't see a number on the sheet. For something like a bumper I'd rather have a more solid mount than those C-clamps.
Yeah you're probably right. I can get something fabricated and welded on. Thanks again for the help and discussion!

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
Good luck! Post up some pics when you get it done.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Here's the chrome version of your rear bumper with mounting hardware:

Polaris ATV GEN4 Double Tube Rear Crome Bumper 2872038 156 | eBay

Don't know if that helps, but, I agree, those little clamps do not look the business for a bumper!
Thanks. That gives a good look at the clamps and hardware. I suppose I could just get clamps and bolts at a hardware store and try it first. I would have to go to someone else to get it fabricated/welded.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Funny, that you bought this bumper this week, I actually offered the seller $60 shipped and he came back with a $75 counter offer.

I never realized either the way this thing bolts on...might opt for a different version if it needs a plate welded on anyhow.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Funny, that you bought this bumper this week, I actually offered the seller $60 shipped and he came back with a $75 counter offer.

I never realized either the way this thing bolts on...might opt for a different version if it needs a plate welded on anyhow.
Ha. Good to know. I almost put in a low $50-60 offer just to get the hardware and have a spare bumper.

I actually bought one from another supplier online, but it didn't come with any mounting hardware, so I found this listing on ebay that had the hardware and instructions. I would have just bought this one had I known.

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
Mine was tweaked a bit on the left side. I heated it up and got it bent back close to normal. Then I roughed it up with 3M pad and repainted. It was missing the plastic end caps and I was able to order those.
I did all this during my 10 year tear-down. I figured after 10 good years the old warhorse deserved a check up. I also took the exhaust off and repainted it too.

Attachments

·
Registered
67 Posts
I found mine on E-bay. I bought them both together from a wrecking yard. I'm not sure if they still sell them at the dealers.

Browse
Was that a direct bolt on rear rack support??

Did your Gen IV rack work with that bracket too?

I bought a bumper for a Gen IV+ needs a different rack support, which is available on eBay for $30shipped, just need a little better idea that everything is probably bolt on

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
I am also looking to put a rear bumper on...my rack support does not have that mounting plate on it that the bumper bolts to...cant find it no where..it shows it in the parts Fiche but no number to it....

1 - 20 of 29 Posts