Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Sportsman XP 850 HO EPS and I am looking for a rear cargo basket that I can put tools and/or a chainsaw back there. I would like it to bolt to the existing deck without too much trouble. Looking for the open ones not the plastic boxes. Anyone have one or can maybe recommend one?

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
get some milk crates, cut out a section of plywood (3/4") and mount the milk crates to the plywood. then make your own lock-n-ride connectors and attach these to the existing lock-n-ride locations on the quad.

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
Are you looking for a metal mesh extended drop basket? Shouldn't be to much trouble to mount, just drill holes in the lock and ride locations and buy or DIY Lock N' Ride fasteners and done! (1" J/Hook-bolts may also work for you).

·
Registered
193 Posts

I just have one of the generics but it is awesome. Sorry, it's at the other place so I can't get the details.................but, I can tell you it's way strong.

These baskets are 2 part. The part that's mounted to the rack, and the basket which hangs from it. (removable with 4 small bolts). The part that goes on the rack took me about an hour to get right. About 5 places lined up with the mounting holes for the rear rack and the square tubing that supports it. I drilled a couple extras. That's probably enough by itself. You will need to drill the holes. Mine came with long enough bolts to go through the tubing. I think you need to get at least 2 bolts through the forward support (for leverage).

On mine I have thrown 150 buck in on a 6 mile rough ride out with no problems. Probably more than that in firewood. 5 gal. pails and 5 gal gas cans easy. Rubbermade tubs for waterproof carry. A stretch web will hold anything light from blowing out. My dog will ride back there if tired enough.

The basket hangs on a couple hooks while you attach the 4 securing bolts. I think anyone with some creativity could come up with a simple (no bolts) take apart for quick detach but I almost never remove it. I'll bet somebody has one like that somewhere but haven't seen it.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Harbor Freight sales a ATV CARGO CARRIER that slides into your hitch and just pin it in. It is tubular and has rail around the outer edges to hold/tie stuff down.
It angles up from the hitch to about the level of your tail lights. They are 36"x 20". They also make a 48" wide model , #66983.
They are actually decent for the price, $49.99 reg , $38 with the flier coupon.
On and off in seconds and you can alter them to suit your needs.
They fit 2" receivers , I had to buy the 1 1/4 " to 2" adaptor.
They rate them for 150lbs , This leaves the rear rack still available for other goodies.
harborfreight.com -Haul Master - atv cargo carrier - item # 67623.

etrailer.com sales one also for $150.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Those rear drop baskets work great for ice fishing but if you ride any type of off camber steep technical stuff it'll get ya. I can;t tell you how many times I've turned around to see my buddy on his Honda rolled or seeing his wheeler standing straight up in the air. I bring him along just for the comic value. I just can;t talk him into getting rid of the stupid thing.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I second the Harbor Freight ATV CARGO CARRIER. I bought one with a coupon, nice rack for the money. One suggestion! I turned the rail around. The rail on mine is in the front, not the rear. My reason, I can tie down tree stands ect from sliding off the back but I want the rail to keep the stuff from hitting my tires. My tree stand over hangs the back about 6", no problem set up this way. If the rail was in the back the stand and other stuff could slid forward and hit the quad.

·
Registered
729 Posts
I second the Harbor Freight ATV CARGO CARRIER. I bought one with a coupon, nice rack for the money. One suggestion! I turned the rail around. The rail on mine is in the front, not the rear. My reason, I can tie down tree stands ect from sliding off the back but I want the rail to keep the stuff from hitting my tires. My tree stand over hangs the back about 6", no problem set up this way. If the rail was in the back the stand and other stuff could slid forward and hit the quad.
Good option, never thought of it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I had one (drop basket rack) on my 2008 800 sportsman for 3 years... I could haul out an elk by myself.... this year during my bow hunt I noticed some extra bouncing and noises...I found out that the braces for my rear cargo rack had ripped out of the frame... and the frame cracked on both sides of my tool storage box.... needless to say the whole rear rack and cargo area fell off.

I fixed/welded everything back together this weekend and I left the rear drop basket off. I guess the added wheight that was not over the center of the tires was just to much strain on the frame and welds... after looking at it closer, the frames are pretty weak... don't get me wrong, I love my bike!! just wish they could make them stand up (for 10k) to the rough terrain and hunts I go on ....

So becareful huw much stuff you put in there... the frame will break!

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
I had one (drop basket rack) on my 2008 800 sportsman for 3 years... I could haul out an elk by myself.... this year during my bow hunt I noticed some extra bouncing and noises...I found out that the braces for my rear cargo rack had ripped out of the frame... and the frame cracked on both sides of my tool storage box.... needless to say the whole rear rack and cargo area fell off.

I fixed/welded everything back together this weekend and I left the rear drop basket off. I guess the added wheight that was not over the center of the tires was just to much strain on the frame and welds... after looking at it closer, the frames are pretty weak... don't get me wrong, I love my bike!! just wish they could make them stand up (for 10k) to the rough terrain and hunts I go on ....

sounds like you're in the market for a trailer. Personally I'm a fan of the walking beam trailers. You'd be able to haul everyone's elk out with that. lol.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Never heard of walking beam trailers?? where I go it is extremely rough terrain with lots of large boulders... I made a pull behind with atv tires .. pretty sweet, but it is to rough to take that in there??

·
Registered
112 Posts
Just picked up a yutrax 158 for half price and free shipping on eBay... That will climb over rocks and logs...

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Metal carrier at decent price

check this out on ebay, item# 321052989066
Description-This is a closeout item that is being offered at a huge discount. It ships new directly from the manufacturer and with a warranty: Below is the description:

Swisher's Front OR Rear Basket is perfect for hauling extra items on your ATV. It's universal fit quickly and easily attached to your ATV's existing rear rack using the included hardware. It's constructed of heavy duty 14 gauge steel mesh reinforced with 3/4" steel framing. The durable powder coat finish stands tough against harsh weather climates. Basket measures 41"x29"x6.25" $62 w/shipping. Lots of room and pretty tough for the money. Can get in the way so you may need to remove when not in heavy use but sure is handy when its on, i always find a use for it. :werd:

Attachments

·
Registered
103 Posts

I used ratchet straps on the top of the rack to provide extra support for the weight shifting when you are moving. I also had the receiver re-welded for strength ANd I use a screw-tight hitch pin. These little steps make the rack/basket much more solid.

·
Super Moderator
7,054 Posts
Sounds like you guys need an X2. That's the kind of stuff their made for.

·
Registered
7,469 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
I have a Sportsman XP 850 HO EPS and I am looking for a rear cargo basket that I can put tools and/or a chainsaw back there. I would like it to bolt to the existing deck without too much trouble. Looking for the open ones not the plastic boxes. Anyone have one or can maybe recommend one?
I noticed that sportsman's guide catalog has 'em on sale for $67.49. for rear (item # L3P-184629) and $49.49 for the front basket (# L3P206503). That seems like a great price from what the catalog depicts. I've been thinking of ordering one myself. I noticed the online price for each is a few bucks more than the catalog but still not bad (see link below).

The Sportsman's Guide - Hunting & Outdoor Gear, Shooting Supplies, Military Surplus, Survival Gear and More!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts