Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im looking into getting a hard cargo box..I am looking at montana jacks hard box for my sportsman...and 2 kolpin fuel cans to mount to the rear..5 gallons just seem to big and sometimes i will just take one can..but i wanted to know if anyone has gotten that rear box and did they like it..i dont like "material" boxes at all..seems like it was of a pain cleaning it and keeping things dry..but anyway let me know if you have any experience with the box's and should i mount to the rack or the box itself...I dont want the screws ripping out over time.......thanks

·
Registered
125 Posts

I got the lock and ride box from Polaris and mounted the 3 gal can and mount from Rotopax. I bolted the mount right through the wall of the box. It also rest
on the edge of the rear rack. So far so good.
Just not a lot of room in this box, but my Sportsman is a 400 smaller frame.

·
Registered
3,843 Posts
I prefer a front mount for the fuel packs. IMO better to have more weight in the front vs back. Especially if you ride allot in the mountains.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yea I like your set up a lot...I have a ATV stereo that I put on the front, I guess that wouldnt be a big deal even with the fuel up there...how do you like that storage box you have?? the problem is my girl friend wouldnt be able to touch the floor boards even if I got the pegs...i think i have another box picked out from atvsuperstore though..let me know what you think...

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I was going to order the cargo box from montana jacks and was excited about it, but it just seems to big and really expensive, so I cancelled that order and I am going to order the lock in ride box from the atvsuperstore. The Wes cargo box its (239.99) I think will be way more comfortable for my girl friend and more practical for me..that along with some pegs should do good for her..

·
Registered
41 Posts
Plano "lock and ride" rear cargo box

OK, cuppla thoughts here. My 4 gallon Rotopax is going on the front box to add a tad of weight for when I hit rocks climbing hills. I'd like the help keeping the nose down.
Next, I did not like the Polaris lock and ride rear cargo box. My son has one on his 850 Sportsman. Among other things, it blocks the flag mount. WHAT was Polaris thinking!? It also has (at additioonal cost) two canvas bags one on each side. These use small zippers that get clogged with dust easily and do not open the same way (easily). You have to get off the ATV to get into the Polaris box. I decided I liked the Plano rear cargo box.

Amazon.com: Plano Rear Mount ATV Box with Hinged Cover: Sports & Outdoors

Briefly, I liked the box but not the latches or methods for attaching. So I bought Draw Latches at Ace hardware and replaced the bungee cords on the Plano box with the Draw Latches. Works fine. I took my rear rack (2011 550 Sportsman) off, put masking tape on the bottom of the Plano box where the lock and ride holes would align and marked four of them with a Sharpie. Two of the lock and ride holes were outside the edge of the box. You can probably see it coming. I ordered the bits and pieces to make four lock and ride pins from Don Wood Polaris. I assembled them inside the Plano box with some 1/8" thick metal washers below the lock and ride pins to stiffen the box. It was not designed for lock and ride pins so the washers add a little strength. I've used the Plano "lock and ride: box on 4 rides now and I love it. It "warps" around with space in front so no zippered bags. I can get to my lunch or other contents from the seat of the ATV because the hinge for the lid is along the back edge. I have a pdf with fotos and a complete description of what I did if anyone is interested.

·
Registered
307 Posts
That is my biggest complaint with the Polaris box - rear opening. What were they thinking?

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
I have a Sportsman rear box and feel its about the best one going... It is water proof, something many claim but FAR fewer actually deliver... Trunk door.. really a problem?? I mean ?? Get off open the lid retrieve what you want... I have a tank bag for things I need instantly. I also have the side bags. I am sure dust will take it toll, it always does, but it keeps most of the bust outta the interior too. Things done last forever, attrition takes it toll. I expect to have to change out zippered bags every three years or so. In my mind, its just the way it is.

My pop has a Moose Executive. (Same as pictured above on Thors 800) It leaks pretty badly. I sealed the push in plugs that hold on the pads on either side and its better now. But the dust blows right in between the lid. The hinges are metal rods pushed thru holes in the lids...it works, but is poor quality. Its thinner, single walled and obviously less quality than the POPO box.

My buddies wife has a Kolpin. Its thin and flimsy. Has good latches and a seal so its better with dust and water. But it does leak! Its flimsy as all get out! It works and looks better then the Moose. But not great IMHO.

The Sportsman box is double walled, water and dust proof with robust hinges and overall very well made. It attaches with the far superior lock N ride latches. Comes on and off in a flash. Is lockable to the machine and lid. The down side is the cost, but I was able to save almost 100$ by watching EBay.

CW

·
Registered
87 Posts
I prefer a front mount for the fuel packs. IMO better to have more weight in the front vs back. Especially if you ride allot in the mountains.

Thor I have a 2011 850X2 and was wondering what options there are for mounting fuel pack to the front box. Polaris did away with the attachment rails on top of the box lid like you have in your photo. I think the only way I could mount fuel pack on mine would be to drill holes in the lid and I'm not sure I like that idea.

Side note: Thanks for dealing with my A-Arm gaurd issue while you were out west riding. I finally got the problem gaurd installed.

·
Registered
307 Posts
For those of you who have the front Lock box from Polaris, if you go to Home Depot and buy the 1/4" x 2 1/2" eye bolts they are a perfect replacement for the screws that you see on the lid. I replaced mine today and now my 4 gal. Koplin sits on top of the box and I have 2 cinch straps holding it in place. To make sure that I did not lose my waterproofness I even put some sealant around the threads on the bolts to seal it.

Another cool trick that I did with the remote for my winch - took the cover of the throttle off and drilled 2 small holes in it and ran the screws up through the lid to the toggle switch for the winch in/out switch. Gooped that too.

·
Registered
33 Posts
OK, cuppla thoughts here. My 4 gallon Rotopax is going on the front box to add a tad of weight for when I hit rocks climbing hills. I'd like the help keeping the nose down.
Next, I did not like the Polaris lock and ride rear cargo box. My son has one on his 850 Sportsman. Among other things, it blocks the flag mount. WHAT was Polaris thinking!? It also has (at additioonal cost) two canvas bags one on each side. These use small zippers that get clogged with dust easily and do not open the same way (easily). You have to get off the ATV to get into the Polaris box. I decided I liked the Plano rear cargo box.

Amazon.com: Plano Rear Mount ATV Box with Hinged Cover: Sports & Outdoors

Briefly, I liked the box but not the latches or methods for attaching. So I bought Draw Latches at Ace hardware and replaced the bungee cords on the Plano box with the Draw Latches. Works fine. I took my rear rack (2011 550 Sportsman) off, put masking tape on the bottom of the Plano box where the lock and ride holes would align and marked four of them with a Sharpie. Two of the lock and ride holes were outside the edge of the box. You can probably see it coming. I ordered the bits and pieces to make four lock and ride pins from Don Wood Polaris. I assembled them inside the Plano box with some 1/8" thick metal washers below the lock and ride pins to stiffen the box. It was not designed for lock and ride pins so the washers add a little strength. I've used the Plano "lock and ride: box on 4 rides now and I love it. It "warps" around with space in front so no zippered bags. I can get to my lunch or other contents from the seat of the ATV because the hinge for the lid is along the back edge. I have a pdf with fotos and a complete description of what I did if anyone is interested.
Hi Mykee, if you're still around and still have the pics I'd like to see. I just picked up a Plano box for my 2010 sportsman 500. Figured I'd save a $100 and tweak its shortcomings myself.

·
Registered
33 Posts
cargo box installed

I assemble the Plano rear cargo box and mounted it to my bike. Just used the the U clamps at the rear with the extended cargo rack. With the front I'll use the included elastic band clamps until they break, then I'll probably bolt it down. The left hinge didn't line up exactly right but I managed to get it to close.

Thanks to Mykee who provided some guidance.:top:

Attachments

·
Registered
53 Posts
I put the plano rear box on my rear basket all bolted together Was a PIA to put all together the next thing I'm doing is getting some REAL latches to put on it as the bungee is junk

Attachments

·
Registered
41 Posts
Latches for Plano box

I put the plano rear box on my rear basket all bolted together Was a PIA to put all together the next thing I'm doing is getting some REAL latches to put on it as the bungee is junk
Initially I replaced the Plano supplied bungee latches with fixed length latches I bought at Ace Hardware. I found these popped loose when I was bouncing around the trail. So I bit the bullet and replaced them with the Polaris rubber latches. My cargo box hasn't popped open once. AND, when I "stuff" the box, the Polaris latches tolerate it because they stretch a little. For the purpose, they are ideal. Pricey, but you do get what you pay for with those latches.
KIT-LATCH,RUBBER OC

·
Registered
41 Posts
Latch fotos

could you post some pics of the latches? I like the idea
Sure. Let's see if this works...... This is a Picasa album of fotos of the box.
https://picasaweb.google.com/107917282931183086014/PlanoCargoBox?authkey=Gv1sRgCJ6t2_KL8_bpOw#

If it works right, the third foto shows the open latch. This also shows the holes I filled from the fixed latches that did not work out so well. I carry my Guidewear and spare clothes in two USAF helmet bags (you can see in one foto). Others show the lock and ride pins that hold the box to the rack and the green pad on the bottom is just a sleeping bag pad I put in the bottom to keep things from making a lot of racket when I ride. One foto shows the key ring I used on the end of the hinge pin to replace the cotter pin Plano used because it caught me a couple of times. There are also IPB images at the end. Hope this helps. Only downside of using the lock and ride pins inside the box is the box has to be pretty empty to remove it for cleaning after every ride. That's really not a lot of trouble though.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Thanks Mykee I like it. I will for sure get those. I had to bolt mine down to the rack basket as I wanted to keep the extra room now if I need to take it off I just remove 4 ubolts and that it all off together

1 - 19 of 19 Posts