Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heading out to HM Trailfest in a couple of weeks and this will be the first time I'll be carrying my rear box. Couple of questions... 1) How do all of you that have boxes keep stuff from bouncing around inside?... and 2) Is there a good way to secure the box to the machine so somebody doesn't simply unlatch it and walk off with it?

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Bouncing around inside? You mean to tell me that you actually have extra room? Good one......

But seriously, it will fill up to the point where nothing will move.

Unless it's bolted down, they are easy to remove. Will you be riding where that will be a real concern?

Mark

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
wouldn't they need to take everything out to unlatch it? isn't there a spot for a lock on the outside to prevent people from getting into it? if not, it wouldn't be hard to rivot a latch on it.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
My Lock N Ride had external expansion toggles but the rubber latches were lockable.

Mark

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bouncing around inside? You mean to tell me that you actually have extra room? Good one......

But seriously, it will fill up to the point where nothing will move.

Unless it's bolted down, they are easy to remove. Will you be riding where that will be a real concern?
Lol...true. I've never been to Trailfest before. I'm thinking we will have to park our machines to walk through all the booths and vendor displays leaving them unattended.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
wouldn't they need to take everything out to unlatch it? isn't there a spot for a lock on the outside to prevent people from getting into it? if not, it wouldn't be hard to rivot a latch on it.
The XP box has the Lock & Ride rubber cams on the outside...easy enough to walk up flip the latches and pop it right off. Just didn't know if that was a big issue out there or not. The rubber latches do have a place for a padlock but any good pocket knife would cut that rubber.

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
I have two rear boxes.
The Sportsman also has latches outside. I use padlocks.
The WES seat box has latches inside and cheap lock in plastic. I have had no problem with either.

All you need is enough to keep folks honest. If someone WANTS to steal they can take whole machine! That key is a joke, cut and cross wires ad your off!

Enjoy tralfest!

CW

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
How's it go...... Locks keep honest people honest...... or something like that.

Mark

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
pretty much. If someone want's something bad enough, they are going to get it. The point is to make your stuff to much of a pain in the ass to get in order to make the theif move on to easier targets.

I wouldn't be to worried about it. If it's locked, you should be more than fine. No one is going to take the hole box and walk away with it. cause that's not suspicious. Especially when the box is full (think heavy) and covered in dirt and mud.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Are you guys talking about locking the actual box shut, or down onto the machine? My lock and ride is a real beyatch to get off sometimes, especially when muddy, I really would not worry too much about it, just don't leave anything valuable in it (I have been bad about bringing tools with on rides lately). And to keep things from bouncing around I usually throw in some extra soft side coolers or towels or old sweatshirts in there. I think I am going to drill a hole in the bottom of mine though as I hate that it holds water (AKA melted ice from said soft side coolers)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts