Polaris ATV Forum banner

Rear Centre Work Light on 2017 850SP

12K views 24 replies 6 participants last post by  Gmartino100 
#1 ·
Hey everyone. Have a question that could use some expertise. I’m thinking of installing a rear centre work light (part 2413558) that is available on the hunter editions on my 2017 850SP. I know that the centre tail light is a simple plug and play, but I’m wondering what is involved with installing the work light. Would the same plug in harness work? Is there another harness that I would need to connect the switch to inside the pod? If anyone has done this mod or knows how to do it I would appreciate the help. Thx

#3 ·
I've got a hunter but never had any reason to look at how the light is wired. Should be pretty simple to tie in for power from the taillight harness and then just run a single ground wire to the front and through the switch to a body ground. Flip the switch to complete the circuit to ground. Very simple.

#4 ·
I’m not concerned about the simplicity of hard wiring a light in. It just that there is already a harness plug sitting there that can be used to mount the read centre stop light, so am wondering if I can plug into that and then possibly have the switch plug into a pre-existing harness plug within the headlight pod? Knowing Polaris, there is probably a simple plug and play solution since this option is available in other models.

One question for you Polman, how bright is the work light? Am I just wasting my time trying to figure this out if it isn’t that great. Thx

#5 ·
Yeah, I figured it might already have the plug in the rear harness but only you could answer that question by looking at yours. Its likely plug and play for the switch in the pod too. The light is pretty bright. I don't use it for actual "work" but it is very handy when having to back on the trail in the dark. There really shouldn't be anything much to figure out if you want the option. All you need is a light and switch. I don't know for sure but the pod cover should have markings on the inside for the switch location.

#6 ·
Thanks Polman. I have the plug in the rear. Maybe I’ll open up the pod tomorrow and see if there is a plug in there. I couldn’t find anything with respect to the OEM switch for the work light but maybe I’m not looking hard enough.

All I want the light for is to provide some light when hooking up a trailer in the dark or backing up in the middle of a trail. So I think that work light will be perfect and it fits the machine lines nicely.

#7 ·
Its the YELLOW wire, it's in the pod and its in the plug in the rear. Everything is plug and play. You just need to purchase the switch.

#8 ·
Thanks FPD. So basically the rear light is a plug and play, I get a switch and wire it directly to the yellow wire in the pod and I should be good to go. Simple enough!

#15 ·
Hum! kind of weird, the Today's Post section shows Gmartino100 was the last one to post on page 2 of his thread, but I find no post what so ever of his post showing on my end of the computer screen. Since I'm posting now it should show me as the last one to post on page 2 to the thread.

I'm just wondering what Gmartino100 found out when he opened up his pod, if it's plug and play for a on/ff work light switch or not?

Tony

#18 · (Edited)
So I finally got my rear work light installed.

OEM product #2413558. Work light that is found on the hunter editions. I purchased a toggle switch from amazon. Hook up was straight forward.

Remove the blank cover from the rear and install the light. The wiring harness plug-in is already there sitting in a holder. It's the same harness that you would use for the rear centre tail light mod that has been discussed in other threads and you tube videos. Plug it in and the back is done. Under the headlight pod there are two shrink wrapped wires, a red and a yellow. Yellow feeds power to the rear light and the red is an auxiliary power wire that is keyed, meaning that power is only there when the key is turned on. Power in to the toggle switch from the red, yellow to light and ground to a good ground source. I piggy backed my ground off of the ground wire I had for my light bar toggle switch. Done.

Whole process took under an hour only because I was fooling around with voltage meter to figure out the red and yellow wires and had to cut a larger opening in the headlight pod for the toggle switch.

I think it looks great and is more useful for me than a centre tail light.

Thanks to FPD218 and polman500 for your input.

Attachments

Reactions: FPD218
#24 ·
So I finally got my rear work light installed.

OEM product #2413558. Work light that is found on the hunter editions. I purchased a toggle switch from amazon. Hook up was straight forward.

Remove the blank cover from the rear and install the light. The wiring harness plug-in is already there sitting in a holder. It's the same harness that you would use for the rear centre tail light mod that has been discussed in other threads and you tube videos. Plug it in and the back is done. Under the headlight pod there are two shrink wrapped wires, a red and a yellow. Yellow feeds power to the rear light and the red is an auxiliary power wire that is keyed, meaning that power is only there when the key is turned on. Power in to the toggle switch from the red, yellow to light and ground to a good ground source. I piggy backed my ground off of the ground wire I had for my light bar toggle switch. Done.

Whole process took under an hour only because I was fooling around with voltage meter to figure out the red and yellow wires and had to cut a larger opening in the headlight pod for the toggle switch.

I think it looks great and is more useful for me than a centre tail light.

Thanks to FPD218 and polman500 for your input.
Ok. I have bought the stock light switch with no ground wire. So what do i do? You said put the red wire on one, then put the yellow wire on. Will that work if no ground wire for lite switch?
I did use the stock wiring in the rear. It is hooked up, bought i haven't started the light pod work yet.

#19 ·
Nice Job Gmartino100, Where did you get them switches? Are they water proof?

Here is a pix of mine.....

Attachments

#20 ·
Got them from amazon.

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07KLNPJ9G/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awdb_t1_qsVnDb0R5E1E9

Waterproof to IP65. They come with a rubber washer to seal against the dash face and each quick disconnect has a sleeve to protect the connection. Cheap Chinese but they seem to work fine. My light bar toggle is twitchy sometimes and I need to “slowly” turn it on. I’ll end up getting another to replace it. The new rear light one I just got is a bit different, so I think they made some improvement changes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.