Polaris ATV Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
After I got the axle seated in the differential, I tried installing the bearing carrier to the lower control arm, but it wouldn't line up with the lower control arm mounts (Photo #1)...it was about an inch too high on each side, and there was no way of forcing it into place, because the axle could not be pushed downward any more. So, I connected the upper control arm to the top of the bearing carrier, and was able to push down very hard on the bearing carrier and line it up with the lower control arm mounts. It just seemed wrong, because in videos I watched, the bearing carrier lined up with the lower control arm without any issue, yet I had to put A LOT of weight on it to get it in place, which seems like it would put way too much pressure on the axle joints. Plus, the upper CV boot is very stretched and is dimpled in two spots (Photo #2).

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2008 800 ho efi, 2019 850 SP premium
9,150 Posts
Welcome to the forum

·
Premium Member
2008 800 ho efi, 2019 850 SP premium
9,150 Posts
Number one, are you sure you have the correct replacement axle?

Number two, most time the wheel bearing comes apart in the hub or the old race is still stuck in the hub if you replaced the bearing.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Number one, are you sure you have the correct replacement axle?

Number two, most time the wheel bearing comes apart in the hub or the old race is still stuck in the hub if you replaced the bearing.
Thanks for the welcome!!
I got the axle from East Lake Axle, and supposedly it fits that model and year, and does look identical to the original axle. Also, I didn't replace the bearing.

·
Premium Member
19’ 850SP Camo. MtAiry Maryland
2,118 Posts
Thanks for the welcome!!
I got the axle from East Lake Axle, and supposedly it fits that model and year, and does look identical to the original axle. Also, I didn't replace the bearing.
Have you measured compressed and extended axle length of old and new axle?…..suppliers have sent the wrong axle length before.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Have you measured compressed and extended axle length of old and new axle?…..suppliers have sent the wrong axle length before.
No, I didn't measure it. It wasn't really a "length" issue though...it was more of an "angle" issue...there was enough length to reach the lower control arm mounts, but the axle angle was "downward" as much as it could be, yet it wasn't enough to line up with the control arm.

I did have the quad on a jack stand for several days, so is it possible that the shock could have "decompressed" slightly, pushing the lower control arm downward? Seems a bit silly, but who knows

·
Premium Member
2,118 Posts
No, I didn't measure it. It wasn't really a "length" issue though...it was more of an "angle" issue...there was enough length to reach the lower control arm mounts, but the axle angle was "downward" as much as it could be, yet it wasn't enough to line up with the control arm.

I did have the quad on a jack stand for several days, so is it possible that the shock could have "decompressed" slightly, pushing the lower control arm downward? Seems a bit silly, but who knows
The shock extension stops won’t change. It really sounds like you have the wrong axle. I would take it out and measure all lengths and angles against the original one.

·
Registered
933 Posts
What does the axle have to do with the angle?
Isn't the angle a function of the suspension components? I.E, the A-arms and shock absorber are what dictate the angle. The axle just needs to live in the environment.
If you add a lift, it changes angle. If you change shocks, (longer/shorter/stiffer/softer) the angle changes. If you were to install different a-arm, the angle changes...
Swapping an axle should not change the angle at all.

Did you compare this side that you are replacing the axle on to the other side of the machine to see if things look the same?
I don't see an issue with the boot. You're at full suspension droop. Once you put the tires on the ground that axle boot will probably look normal

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What does the axle have to do with the angle?
Isn't the angle a function of the suspension components? I.E, the A-arms and shock absorber are what dictate the angle. The axle just needs to live in the environment.
If you add a lift, it changes angle. If you change shocks, (longer/shorter/stiffer/softer) the angle changes. If you were to install different a-arm, the angle changes...
Swapping an axle should not change the angle at all.

Did you compare this side that you are replacing the axle on to the other side of the machine to see if things look the same?
I don't see an issue with the boot. You're at full suspension droop. Once you put the tires on the ground that axle boot will probably look normal
I'm not sure you're understanding what I'm talking about. I'm saying that to get the axle to fit into the bearing carrier, then for the carrier to mount to the lower control arm, I had to push down on the carrier and axle as hard as I could to get the carrier to line up with the lower control arm. It seemed like way too much pressure on the axle joints, but it does drive fine, so hopefully all is well.

·
13,332 Posts
I'm not sure you're understanding what I'm talking about. I'm saying that to get the axle to fit into the bearing carrier, then for the carrier to mount to the lower control arm, I had to push down on the carrier and axle as hard as I could to get the carrier to line up with the lower control arm. It seemed like way too much pressure on the axle joints, but it does drive fine, so hopefully all is well.
When repairing or replacing the rear axle, if you'll first take the stabilizer bar link loose and the lower bolt out of the shock so the shock can be rotated up out of the way and tied off or bungee strapped while you work. Then the arms, bearing carrier and axle can all be easily manipulated anywhere you want them. When you're done with the axle, put the two bolts back in and go riding.

·
Premium Member
2,118 Posts
The only reason I stated it sounds like the wrong size replacement axle is, when I removed my right rear OEM axle to replace the inner boot, the axle came out and went back in with no effort at all. That’s without removing shock bolt or stabilizer mount.

·
13,332 Posts
The only reason I stated it sounds like the wrong size replacement axle is, when I removed my right rear OEM axle to replace the inner boot, the axle came out and went back in with no effort at all. That’s without removing shock bolt or stabilizer mount.
Yes Mr. Ed, it can SOMETIMES be done without disconnecting the suspension. But those older machines like OP is talking about have very different arms, shock attachment and stabilizer set up than your 850. There's only two bolts that take about 5 minutes to remove. You MUST have that upper arm raised up out of the way so the axle can be held straight and level to easily remove and install it. An axle that hasn't been out since 2002 WILL NOT "come out and go back in with no effort at all". It often takes a LOT of effort lol. You need to disconnect the suspension first to facilitate that. His stabilizer link, unlike yours, is attached to the UPPER arm so the arm can't be moved up unless disconnected. If you already have all that stabilizer junk off laying on the shelf like I do my machines then its even easier.
His:
Font Art Slope Parallel Pattern

Yours:
Slope Font Parallel Diagram Engineering

·
Premium Member
2,118 Posts
Yes Mr. Ed, it can SOMETIMES be done without disconnecting the suspension. But those older machines like OP is talking about have very different arms, shock attachment and stabilizer set up than your 850. There's only two bolts that take about 5 minutes to remove. You MUST have that upper arm raised up out of the way so the axle can be held straight and level to easily remove and install it. An axle that hasn't been out since 2002 WILL NOT "come out and go back in with no effort at all". It often takes a LOT of effort lol. You need to disconnect the suspension first to facilitate that. His stabilizer link, unlike yours, is attached to the UPPER arm so the arm can't be moved up unless disconnected. If you already have all that stabilizer junk off laying on the shelf like I do my machines then its even easier.
His:
View attachment 158198
Yours:
View attachment 158199
Holy crap…my bad!! I thought it was a 2020 🤦…..I feel silly now…..I’m geezing….need new glasses…..don’t mind me 🤪

1 - 14 of 14 Posts