Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 2015 sportsman 1000 that I recently purchased. While playing in the snow today in 2wd it seemed to start clattering and sending power to one rear then the other and back and forth kind of like in a truck.only did it when I was taking off and the rear tires were trying to find traction. I was only giving light to medium throttle. Is this normal and if not any ideas on what it is.. also seemed to do it while drifting.. the shaking and clattering was pretty bad.. thanks in advance for advice

·
Registered
297 Posts
I have a 1000, 2017 2up, I have been riding in the snow a lot. This has not happened to me. Mind you I have been a tame rider as I am in brake in mode. Just finished my 50 hr service, I guess I can giver a bit more now, I don’t have the newer up grade front pinion cover yet so I’m staying tame for now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
280 Posts
So..even though I do not have a 1000. The 850s and 1000s probably have very similar rear differential setup. Now one thing I am not sure of is if they offered the 1000s with a turf mode. You didn't mention you have turf mode so I would assume you don't. The rear differentials would be different internally if you did and could cause a problem that you are explaining. So I've rebuilt a few 850 rear diffs. Internal, it's one solid piece for the ring gear / center shaft. So I do not see how it could transfer power independently. I would first start with draining the rear diff oil. Check the drain plug for metal chunks. Could indicate if a tooth on a gear broke. Now, were you in 4WD? The 1000s had the pinion cover plate braking. Could the sound be misleading and actually coming from the front? So the first step I would do is drain and service both front and rear diffs to check for metal.

Also check your rear drive shaft to make sure the bolts that secure it to the pinion cover are tight and not loose.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I was in 2wd, and my front pinion cover looks fine. Also does not do this all the time. Only when low traction when it’s trying to gain traction, on pavement and high traction area it doesn’t do it at all.. also does not do it as bad when you are already rolling.. just if you take off in 2wd like taking off in a field with a few inches of snow in 2wd. I don’t know if it is the turf diff. also I could be wrong about the power transfer.. maybe it could be just clattering and shaking and it only seems to me like there is a power transfer going on like what would be in a pickup in 4x4 in snow or mud. Only thing is I was in 2 wd with only the rears spinning.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Reactions: Andymcc

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
That describes it pretty accurate except I was in 2wd. Not sure if it’s the same thing it has 27in tusk trilobite 8 ply. Do you think it could be the same thing happening, only with just the rears spinning?

·
Registered
273 Posts
That describes it pretty accurate except I was in 2wd. Not sure if it’s the same thing it has 27in tusk trilobite 8 ply. Do you think it could be the same thing happening, only with just the rears spinning?

My guess is it is the same thing happening but I am by no means a expert. My machine will do it in the snow in 2wd as well. To make mine stop doing it I need to either change speeds or stop. I usually just stop so I don’t break anything.

Reactions: Andymcc

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2015 sportsman 1000 that I recently purchased. While playing in the snow today in 2wd it seemed to start clattering and sending power to one rear then the other and back and forth kind of like in a truck.only did it when I was taking off and the rear tires were trying to find traction. I was only giving light to medium throttle. Is this normal and if not any ideas on what it is.. also seemed to do it while drifting.. the shaking and clattering was pretty bad.. thanks in advance for advice
I have just started having the same problem with my 2018 850 HL not sure why it is doing this still trying to find out what’s going on exactly any advice is appreciated

1 - 11 of 11 Posts